Full Width Dana 44 build up and swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full Width Dana 44 build up and swap

Welllll, since I've got almost everything ready to go, I figured I'd start a thread about the build up/swap...

First things first:
1978 Ford Bronco Dana 44
stock radius arms...will probably heim joint them
Master overhaul kit (broncograveyard)
Yukon gear 5.13 R&P (broncograveyard)
7* C bushing kit (broncograveyard)

32009936-M.jpg

(yes, it's it's backwards and upside down)

32009937-M.jpg

32009934-M.jpg

That's it for now... I'm gonna get that axle cleaned up real nice, paint it, then start the project
:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well it's been forever since I've had anything going on this but I have my rear axle now, a 9" out of a 76 150 and about 90% of the parts to put everything together.
as of now spool rear ls/locker front. possibly aussie front and rear. we'll see. I'm impressed with the aussie I have now for sure!
anywho, this project is finally getting going.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow, this thread needs to be updated badly...
so, I have both my axles, all parts, spool rear, aussie front, 5.13 gears, I have everything I need to build this sucker. I am aiming for the end of July.
I thought that this would go way faster than it is, but geeez, parts are expensive and being a college student doesn't help on the time/money part of a project like this.

FROADER said:
I would rather have the Electrac L/S / Locker in the front than the lunchbox (Aussie, Detroit etc.) in the front. I had a L/S in the front of my old one and it is much better. The lunchbox you either have it full lock or one locked or open. One locked is a pain to drive in the rocks and dirt due to wanting to pull to the opposite side than the locked wheel. Full lock is cool but not needed all of the time. the L/S / Full lock you will hardly ever need the full lock unless you are in a very serious spot. Right now I have a lunchbox locker in the front of mine and will be changing it as soon as I can afford it. Yes they are a lot more expensive but IMO, very worth the extra money spent.

Sounds like it'll be a good build. Good luck and keep up the pictures as you progress. :thumbsup:

this seems a little backwards to me. if your not doing obstacles that need full lockers then you dont really need the SAS

redranger4.0 said:
this seems a little backwards to me. if your not doing obstacles that need full lockers then you dont really need the SAS
wisdom.gif
--The Electrac L/S is selectable L/S or full lock...

So every second of your off-road driving is a locker needed obstacle? What trails do you drive cause it sounds like fun.

FROADER said:
wisdom.gif
--The Electrac L/S is selectable L/S or full lock...

So every second of your off-road driving is a locker needed obstacle? What trails do you drive cause it sounds like fun.

i hope so...but its also the fact that i cant justify spending that much on something when i get the same performance out of something that costs at least 500 less. another part is i like bare bones stuff. simple yet enough to get the job done.

I want my Explorer to be the way I want it. To be able to go over whatever I want and not break anything. I've broken enough crap on it to last me a lifetime. If you can't justify the expenses yourself, it's not your truck. I can justify the costs, which is why I'm doing it. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Sometimes people would build trucks just to drive them on the street... show offs... that's all. Let them, it's their choice. I don't do much wheeling myself but at the moment I'm in the process of building a nice trail devoted truck... even if I take it out of my garage once a year and go off road it's fine with me... but I like to have it built good not just half-a** :rolleyes:

the rear 9"
74916719-M.jpg

the 44 completely gutted and cleaned
74916653-M.jpg

the rear traction
74916784-M.jpg

hmm, I thought I had a picture of the Aussie, but I guess not. I'll go take one in a bit.

Back