Sand and Suspension | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sand and Suspension

I've got a '94 sport that I use mostly for driving on the beach. I bought it last weekend and have since driven it twice on the sand. I'm wondering if there's anything cheap I can do to improve grip. The sand is pretty loose/deep in places, and I want to avoid bogging down. I've read around, and noticed that most recommend dropping the tire pressure to about 20psi or so; but I'm wondering if just buying a set of cheaper wider tires will do the trick without having to mess with tire pressure?

Also, wondering if there's an inexpensive lift option out there, and if something like that would help with clearance. It's a truck that I'll probably only put about 2-3 thousand miles on each year, so I'm not really looking for something top of the line - just some inexpensive/safe options.

Thanks-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can do spacers up front and a add-aleaf or shackles in the rear for about 2" of lift. Also - sand is bad on a transmission, so keep up on your transmission services. Lowered air pressure is always a good way to go, but if you get back on the road and travel pretty fast, it may not be that convient unless you have a air tank in your truck :thumbsup: Wider wheels and tires may help you out, but maybe your tread design might help. More aggressive tire.

-Drew

It's got T/A's on it with a fairly decent tread pattern, and I've actually read that an aggressive tread will actually dig the vehicle into the sand, as opposed to help it ride on top of the sand. Go figure.

I was thinking about getting one of those air compressors that plugs into the cigarette lighter though, to fill the tires once I'm back on the pavement.

When you say sand is bad on the tranny, are you talking about it actually getting into the tranny, or that driving in the sand just puts more wear and tear - due to the kind of driving? That's something I hadn't considered though, maybe I should get it flushed or something in the next few weeks...

I took my X into some sand to see what it could do. After all my mods. I had a hard time getting traction. I did have my tires at the normal 40PSI cold I run though. I almost got stuck a few times. Other then the tire pressure I'm not sure what I was doing wrong.

The times I've been, I haven't messed with tire pressure. Just stayed in first gear and maintained momentum, going about 15mph or so. Didn't even have to put it in low. 'Course, I tried not to stop on anything too soft either.

limited slips or lockers will help greatly. but I think the key to more traction is air pressure. Just the way it is :rolleyes:

And when I say its bad on the transmission - not by getting in, cause it's a sealed unit (unless it's leaking), but just the strain on the transmission.

-Drew

We have been over this before. When you drive on sand the best thing is to lower tire pressure to about 20-psi. If you plan to drive frequently on sand then a good air compressor is essential. You may also want to invest in a high pressure powertank or similar tank. Mud tires get too much traction and tend to dig in the sand. AT tires tend to perform better on sand.

An auto transmission will heat up very quickly. The fluid will burn and loose its lubricating and heat dissipation properties. Lowering tire pressure reduses the stress on the transmission. Changeing the transmission fluid after a lot of sand driving or at least twice a year should protect the transmission. A better solution is to add a temperature gage to the auto tranny to monitor temperature.

Manual trannys dont tend to have problems with heat so tire pressure reduction is less necessary. I prefer a manual. I still lower tire pressure to 25 to 28-psi, so I wont get stuck. If I had a dedicated sand truck I would buy some wide tires, reduce the backspacing and cut the fenders where they rub.

Always keep a real shovel, tow strap, high lift or come along, bottle jack and minimum 12"x12" jack plate, and bug spray. One other piece of advice the old salts will give you "NEVER NEVER NEVER drive below the high tide watermark."

unclemeat said:
An auto transmission will heat up very quickly. The fluid will burn and loose its lubricating and heat dissipation properties. Lowering tire pressure reduses the stress on the transmission. Changeing the transmission fluid after a lot of sand driving or at least twice a year should protect the transmission. A better solution is to add a temperature gage to the auto tranny to monitor temperature.
I dissagree. The lower your tire pressure, the more traction you have, the greater the rolling resistance, making the trans work harder, torque converter 'slip' more, and heat up.
Regardless, running in 4low will greatly reduce the strain on the transmission, and a transmission temp gauge is always a good idea.

It's a manual. I'll probably keep driving it without lowering the tire pressure since it's done well so far, but I suppose a shovel and an air compressor will be my next buy's. The tires on it are 235's on stock 15's. Anyone know the width of a stock rim?

Lower tire pressure provides a larger tire contact patch, yes more traction. In deep sand wheel spin (lack or traction) and having to plow the sand from in front of the tire are the problems. Lower tire pressure reduces wheel spin and keeps the tire from sinking as deeply in the sand, thus, reducing the work the entire drive train has to do.

Like others have said Lower the tyre pressure< Drive on the beach at 40PSI then drop it to 15 PSI and see how much easer it is at a lower tyre pressure you will float over the sand, When I hit a beach I air down to 15-20 PSI and I have gown as low as 12PSI to get off a beach once.

Don’t know how soft the sand is over there, but I have hit beachers in Aus at 44PSI Road pressure in Low range and made it 10 Meters before becoming bogged< Dropped to 15PSI and I was driving around with no problems

Bigger tyres (Taller) will help but not solve it> Tyre pressure is the key Lower is better Try it, it will surprise you and you will get placers so much easer than all the others who are running Hwy pressure.

Don’t go below 15 PSI unless absolutely necessary as you risk rolling the tyre off the rim and air back up as soon as you hit the main road as you risk a Blow out if driving at speed at low tyre pressure along with **** house handling.

lower the tire pressure as everyone else said i go on the beach almsot every weekend. just last weekend i took my friends truck to corolla beach. its a 2wd ranger w/ 33 dunlop A/ts lowered air pressure to 15psi. momentum and tire pressure 2 most important keys to drving on the sand

Tommy

I've never tried with stock tires, but with everything from 31" AT's to 35" mudders (all on 8" steel wheels) anything over 10psi is 4wd only. Assuming soft dry sand, of course. Typically when I go to the dunes I run 6-8 psi with no problems. getting the pressure down allows 2wd, which allows some wheel spin, which allows the revs to climb, which in turn allows the HP needed to climb the bigger dunes :) On the beach, its not such an issue tho.

Back