5R55E losing it's mind

hughba

Reaction score
City, State
Hobart, Tasmania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Limited
Hey guys,
I've got a 5R55E that I think might be going insane. It's got the lazy reverse (which I've read about and am not too fussed with) but the real problem is it's shifting behaviour from third to fourth. It does it when I get on the throttle - not off it. In fact, it will, sometime hang on with smaller throttle openings and then as soon as i open it a bit more (for a hill, etc) it shifts up?!?! These shifts are quite slurred - due to the throttle openings. It's happening more and more...

Is it worth rebuilding the valve body, or are my problems terminal?

Thanks guys, I'm kynda hoping I can sort this one out, because the car's a pain to have problems with here in Aus ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hughba said:
Hey guys,
I've got a 5R55E that I think might be going insane. It's got the lazy reverse (which I've read about and am not too fussed with) but the real problem is it's shifting behaviour from third to fourth. It does it when I get on the throttle - not off it. In fact, it will, sometime hang on with smaller throttle openings and then as soon as i open it a bit more (for a hill, etc) it shifts up?!?! These shifts are quite slurred - due to the throttle openings. It's happening more and more...

Is it worth rebuilding the valve body, or are my problems terminal?

Thanks guys, I'm kynda hoping I can sort this one out, because the car's a pain to have problems with here in Aus ;)

sorry dude :(. i thought my car was having transmission problems, but apparently it was the ect sensor screwing up my transmission (hoping for no more check engine light the next few days). have you noticed any problems starting your car, where it just cuts off moments after you have started it?

I've got the same problem with shifting up instead of down. Mine is sluggish shifting either way between reverse and Drive. Also, it stays in too high a gear up until about 45 mph. At 25 through 35 mph, it turns 1100 rpm. This is too low - I can hear it lugging. Is it maybe in 3rd or 4th gear? I have to continuously tickle the throttle to make it shift down. I have tried driving with O/D on and off, and it makes no difference in town. Also, I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with having 31" tires, because it had the exact same problem with the stock tires.

Nah, no other problems... well, none that are related. Seems to leak a bit of exhaust and some coolant is MIA but nothing that I could see as related. I'm not too fussed if I just have to rebuild the valve body and what not, but I'll be dirty if I have to do the whole gearbox. Anybody else had a similar problem and found a fix with Glacier's excellent valve body rebuild?

Nobody knows anything about this car in Australia :mad:

Anybody got any more ideas?

With almost any vehicle, the aftermarket valve body kits are an excellent task, either with or without problems. I install them in all of my vehicles, they shift better, and last longer. Good luck,

Thanks CDW6212R,
I've read a lot of your posts. Users seem to have a (justified) respect for you. I think I'll try the rebuild when I get some time (ie: summer :( ). Getting parts here is about as easy as getting a taxi to the moon... :rolleyes:

Would I be right in saying the 5R55E is perhaps a little weak for a vehicle of the Explorer's size and torque?

Some common problems that these transmissions have are bad VB gaskets, loose VB bolts, and low pressure from a bad EPC solenoid. When you drop the pan, use a torque wrench to check the torque of the VB bolts. If they appear loose, retorque all of them, and put back the pan, and fluid. Test drive it, and see if it makes a difference. If it still has the same problems, then drop the VB, get the bonded gaskets with separator plates, and the VB rebuild kits. As far as the delayed reverse engagement, you could try the Transtec viton seal kit for the low/reverse servo.

hughba said:
Thanks CDW6212R,
I've read a lot of your posts. Users seem to have a (justified) respect for you. I think I'll try the rebuild when I get some time (ie: summer :( ). Getting parts here is about as easy as getting a taxi to the moon... :rolleyes:

Would I be right in saying the 5R55E is perhaps a little weak for a vehicle of the Explorer's size and torque?

no. a trans shop said the 5R55E was originally in a 2 door mustang, and in a car that size is great but not in an explorer. thats why its always having problems. makes sense to me if its true

Hughba, I would test the TPS as a first step, just to rule it out. It's a quick and easy test with a multimeter, and if it tests good that will give you more confidence that the trouble is indeed in the valve body.

Bad TPS's can give you all sorts of shifting problems. Do a search and you'll turn up the procedure for testing; basically you're looking for a smooth voltage increase on the TPS signal wire when the throttle is advanced.

Back