What should I do to my 2004 4x4 XLT? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What should I do to my 2004 4x4 XLT?

asimp said:
I don't think the 3rd gen explorers would look good with a lift.....lower it to fill the wheel well gap, and 20's alone don't fill the wheel well enough

I beg to differ
redo_1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the side view, its looks good. It's the front and back view that I don't like the look of. But if that's what people like, then go for it. I prefer to drop mine........my 2 year old son has a hard enough time getting in already!

asimp said:
From the side view, its looks good. It's the front and back view that I don't like the look of. But if that's what people like, then go for it. I prefer to drop mine........my 2 year old son has a hard enough time getting in already!

I totally agree with you... I have a 7 year old brother that was a hard time getting in my X, but then comes the conflict... I believe that 2x4s=lowered, 4x4=lifted. I guess it only matters to the owner of the x.

OK, where did you get that pick? I thought we have been over that 3rd gens cannot be lifted. That look like a SL. I would like to hear the story.
Thanx, Jared G.

P. doggy said:
OK, where did you get that pick? I thought we have been over that 3rd gens cannot be lifted. That look like a SL. I would like to hear the story.
Thanx, Jared G.

Its a photo shop that dmasini did for me.
There is no aftermarket kit or any form of off the shelf option to lift the 3rd gens. It would have to be a completely custom job.
Nothing cannot be lifted, its just really unrealistic to do to. The pic is somewhere around the higher end of the 4-6" range. Speculation shows to do a double SAS is in the 6-10 inch range (i still feel 10 inches is hiher then neaded, in my mind should be bout 8) and would need quite an investment of time and money to do. Plus its completely uncharted waters, so no one really knows what the final outcome would be.

I know some of you might think this is ugly.. But, opinions please!
powdercoat.jpg

IMG_3260Smallpowdercoat.jpg

Also, this was on my Ex when I got her.. What do I gotta do to get my Sprint phone working with it?
phonemod.jpg

What the heck happened! Your supposed to improve the looks of the vehicle........You went in the other direction. I wouldn't want to be seen in it! Save your money for future modifications if necessary, not everyone has the money to do everything at once. Improve a piece at a time. Sorry for the negative comments, but you ask for opinions!

asimp said:
What the heck happened! Your supposed to improve the looks of the vehicle........You went in the other direction. I wouldn't want to be seen in it! Save your money for future modifications if necessary, not everyone has the money to do everything at once. Improve a piece at a time. Sorry for the negative comments, but you ask for opinions!
Haha, it's photoshopped so no need to worry. :p

use a brick said:
Haha, it's photoshopped so no need to worry. :p

THANK GOD!

Anyone know where to get this hood shield?
2253561_9_full.jpg

Also, can someone help me out in hooking my ex up with these LEDs? Also, should I go with red or green?
2205196_6_full.jpg

Just buy a regular bug shield and get an explorer decal to put on it. That's probably all they done to theirs.

Of course you need a True-Rev Sport Induction Kit
newexplorer.jpg

use a brick said:
I know some of you might think this is ugly.. But, opinions please!
Umm I like it a lot :thumbsup: :D
It makes the vehicle look more "together".
A lot better than bling. :thumbdwn:

asimp said:
Just buy a regular bug shield and get an explorer decal to put on it. That's probably all they done to theirs.
I asked the owner, they said that they got the shield at the dealership and it came with the decal on it.. They're in AU.
KKM said:
Of course you need a True-Rev Sport Induction Kit
newexplorer.jpg
What will that do for my explorer? :)
IZwack said:
Umm I like it a lot :thumbsup: :D
It makes the vehicle look more "together".
A lot better than bling. :thumbdwn:
I was going for the stealthy/covert look when it was made. :p

use a brick said:
What will that do for my explorer? :)

Add an average 9hp and 14ft/lbs torque. We also hear great feedback on better mileage as well.

KKM said:
Add an average 9hp and 14ft/lbs torque. We also hear great feedback on better mileage as well.

Are there any other cheap mods to get more power out of the 4.0L?

I would look into an exhaust system and an electric fan conversion, though not really cheap!

IMG_4342Small.jpg

Mounted via velcro.. Everything can be removed without knowing it was ever there.. Got a 100W speaker mounted behind the bumper in front of the left tire.. It's bolted to the frame at an angle, doesn't stick out any, and it's at an angle to project it's sound.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a black push bar/ bull guard here in Louisville at Stuff for Trucks. I think I paid $150-175 for the install kit and bar. I got some cheap fog lights and bolted them to it. I gotta get some pics of my truck.

Back