• Register Today It's free!

can this be true

scoobyganja

Reaction score
City, State
ENGLAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 4008
hi all posted thread few days ago. saying my exsplorer was not very well,it would not rev up to drive away, my buddy a mecanic could not do any thing with it as he did not have softwere, to read faults so i took it in to ford, they say its a problem within trancefer box, can this be true, :confused: pls let me know if they are right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the truck is lacking power and Ford told you it was the transfer case?
Is this a 2000 model year, 4x4 or all wheel drive truck?

We need some details about your vehicle/engine/transmission
Did they tell you what code(s) were pulled from the computer?
You can look the codes up online yourself

You can get a free code reading at Discount Auto Parts if Ford did not give you the code. What exactly does it do when you try to start it?

He's in England :) I dont think they have Autozone on every corner like we do with OBD-II scanners at the ready....

whoops :(

re year and all wheel drive

yes guys its a 2000 model all wheel drive been wanting 1 for years managed to save for 1 and now this happens :(

ps thanks for quik replie :)

help

was told by ford it was trancfer box fitted new 1 still not reving just cuts out when i try to drive away just dont know wat to do now can anyone help pls :(

so Ford told you the transfer case was at fault.
You paid a ton of $$$ for a new transfer case, did you pay Ford to do the work?
And it's still doing this to you.

When you say not reving just cuts out what do you mean? The Engine shuts off?
You need to be MUCH more descriptive when explaining your problem.

Do you still have a check engine light?

hi will tell you probs from start was driving down road and it just lost power got home limping and phoned rac out to get them to look at it they said it could be a sencor or something took it to local garage they said they did not know wat was wrong with it so they sent it to ford dealers were they told me it was problem with trancfer box and said it would cost me £2000 so i asked them if i put second and trancfer box in myself it would fix it they told me yes done it it still same srives it reverse but wond drive forward just coughs and farts when i try to rev it out bye the way it does all this on gas and lpg :(

no i dont have check engine light nether cheers

mass air

wow

Okay try unplugging the MAS air sensor and see if the problem remains.
I assume the truck idles fine? Problem occurs only after you put it in drive and start going?

tryed removing still doing same thing even when in newtral or park
pls keep coming up with answers im desperate to get her back on road

cheers desy :(

What about the TPS? Have you disconnected the battery to clear the computer? Also, I would chew someones A$$ for suggesting the transfer case! Is it just me or does that sound absolutely ludicris(SP)? Also I would think if someone suggests a big ticket item like that, let them install it. That way if it doesn't work you might have some kind of recourse.

thanks will give it a try

regards desy

similar post from a guy out of montreal. no power, barely get his truck to move. He replaced all sorts of things.... ultimately, IIRC, he found that the Cam position sensor had moved or was broken.

My vote is for a plugged catalytic convertor.

overhill said:
My vote is for a plugged catalytic convertor.
Doubtful. I would think if that were the case the truck would be close to overheating as well. I would think that a plugged cat would be something that happens over time and would be noticed over time and not just appear one morning.

You need to check air/fuel/spark, the basics.

Might be the ignition control, cam sensor, coil pack, computer itself, but first check fuel pressure, inspect the spark plug wires and plugs, coil packs, wiring, vacuum lines etc.

Also if you have a check engine light you need to pull the codes
You keep avoiding this but the code will likely tell you what is wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought the cam sensor was only used at startup??

Back