21Robbie21 SAS | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

21Robbie21 SAS

ok so last night i went and picked up a '84 wagoneer D44 Full Width or WT, Driver Drop, Non-Vac Disconnect, W/Locking Hubs, Complete, its got rust and mud, but it seems good to go. I'm going to run leaves for simplicity. I am 2wd right now and the SAS will be the first step toward 4wd. The axle is 63" wide so i think im going to run spacers in the back. I want to do this as cheap as possible. I want to run 36" Iroks or another 36/37 when im finished. Im hoping to finish in ~3 months, but im not sure how realistic that is. Bryan (BMXking) lives close to me, and if he ever finishes his :D he will have the PRIVELEDGE of helping me :thumbsup: i am open to any suggestions, ideas, tips, tricks, specs, references, or anything that might help me do this project professionally, cheaply, and quickly. I just spent 200 on this axle, ordered a yakima roof basket, and a new cobra CB and antenna, so im outta cash for now, and im going to PC for spring break on April 1st so i might not take any steps these next two-three weeks. But after that im anxious!

sorry the rugs arent a good background, but its in the unfinished part of my basement and thats whats on the floor and damn this thing is heavy!
100_1347.jpg

100_1351.jpg

100_1348.jpg

you think its dirty now? this is after i hosed and scrubbed of the initial Cm thick covering of mud

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok the axle is complete except for new diff fluid, it looks badass too with the black housing and red knucles and silver rotors and red diff cover, but unfortunately i cant find my camera USB cable, so no pics, tommrow the tear down starts, im having a couple friends come over

ive got a concrete slab in my backyard next to a bottom porch wher i am going to do all the work, that has a basketball goal, so i have to drive through my neighbors yard to get there, that way it wont look bad, plus my dad wouldnt evn let me, leave it in the drive way, and im going to rig up a tarp over head for shade.

but anyways, gimme some tips on the tear down, what extra tools will help, what shouldnt be comprimised etc etc?

still working on getting hangers, brake lines, and whatever steering lines ill need,
shocks and gears are at the bottom of my list, i just want this thing drivable with the new suspension as quick as possible, i leave for UGA on august 13 and i know its a crazy goal, especially for someone who is cluecless on what hes doing, but ima try my best, plus ill have the advantage of only working like 2-3 days 20hrs over the next month at home depot so i can use the rest of my time on my car

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

oo eye candy
100_1462.jpg

100_1463.jpg

100_1465.jpg

100_1466.jpg

100_1467.jpg

100_1468.jpg

1.23" wheel spacers/5x4.5 to 5x5.5
100_1469.jpg

spring perches front and rear, u bolts and plates and shock mounts
100_1470.jpg

Looks like you're making great progress. Keep up the good work.

Did you already re-gear front and rear?

He hasn't regeared anything yet. Really, it would be a waste of money to regear the front end when that money could buy him a t-case. ;)

.... that he can't really use without regearing the front.... :p

no matter what... it's just a matter of order that you spend the money. either way.. both have to be done to call it finished!

jasonb said:
.... that he can't really use without regearing the front.... :p

no matter what... it's just a matter of order that you spend the money. either way.. both have to be done to call it finished!
Eh, it depends. Run an NP435 tranny with almost a 7:1 first gear and it doesnt really matter whats in the transfer case. :D :p

except he still won't be able to use the front diff any! I don't think the diffs would like that being different ratios.

Run shorter tires on one end then. :p Anyhoo, it would be hard to bolt a 435 to a 4 liter anyway. :D

ooh.. yeah. I like that idea of the different size tires. That would be blingin

sweetness man !!! if ya need some welding or teardown help give me a call :thumbsup:

does anyone know if the brakeline setup in the rear is different for first gens and second gens? because i can find the extended lines for the first gens but nothing for second, and it would be easier just to order some then have some made.

I cant answer your question but i just bought a waggy axle and 6 inch leaves for it. got the axle, hub to hub, the leaves and the u-bolts all for 125! :D he also put new ball joints and u-joints in it recently. This kid i go to school with works in a junkyard and had this setup under a s-10. he removed it to make it a daily driver again. the axle is already cleaned up and the perches have already been flipped since he already used it this way. I just hope the width is the same since he had it under an s-10. I almost feel like im stealing it.

SuperEx91 said:
I cant answer your question but i just bought a waggy axle and 6 inch leaves for it. got the axle, hub to hub, the leaves and the u-bolts all for 125! :D he also put new ball joints and u-joints in it recently. This kid i go to school with works in a junkyard and had this setup under a s-10. he removed it to make it a daily driver again. the axle is already cleaned up and the perches have already been flipped since he already used it this way. I just hope the width is the same since he had it under an s-10. I almost feel like im stealing it.
lol here u go :p :
choc%20chip%20cookie.gif

haha... the cookie

early on
100_1471.jpg

end of today, this crap is a lot harder than you guys make it look in your one day jobs with pics at the end of the day, thanks to some help from BMXKING i got atleast this much done today.
100_1473.jpg

im not sure if you other second gen guys have had a this, but i had a tow hook mount bracket(even though i didnt have stock tow hooks) that was welded to my frame in four places, not fun
100_1475.jpg

100_1476.jpg

what a ***** VVVV
100_1477.jpg

a lil paint on my rusty springs
100_1478.jpg

section-like cross member
100_1479.jpg

1st gen steering shaft on steering box
100_1480.jpg

ive ordered RE 1555 extended brake lines for the front
also i got f250 shock towers on the way
still waiting for my procomp 8089 16x8s to show up too

still wondering if first gens and second gens have the same rear brake line setup?

does anyone know the best way to order just the steering extension for a first gen bodylift?

thanks

Removed rear springs, took out one AAL(had two took out long one), flipped the pin and pressure washed and painted them.
100_1481.jpg

Also im removing my warrior shackles and putting my old ones back in, so i painted those too, because that all im good for is painting things :D
100_1485.jpg

Recieved my f250 shock towers and RE 1555 ss brakelines
100_1482.jpg

100_1483.jpg

also picked my some length of rubber hose for axle breather hoses
100_1484.jpg

by the end of today i should be done with the stupid ass grinding of the front, and have the SOA bolted up. Welding is going to begin thursday or friday. One thing thats worrying me right now is i still dont have my fricking wheels so even if i finish everything else itll still be sitting on jackstands :mad:
but hopefully theyll show up anyday now

21robbie21 said:
itll still be sitting on jackstands :mad:

welcome to the club!

btw.. how many rugs do you have laying around at your house?!?! :confused:

its the unfinished part of my basement, so the floor is concrete so when im walking and sitting, for ease of clean and ease of sitting parts, i put out a bunch of old rugs and blankets

did you get that welder ?? what kind is it btw ?

Back