Looking for the right HU for a '98 with 2- 12s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for the right HU for a '98 with 2- 12s

Rx4phun

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT SOHC
Hey guys I am not by any means audio savy, so I need help.

I have a stock stereo in my 98 XLT with a stock head unit. My HU display is out and since I just picked up 2 Audiobahn 12s in a ported box with a MTX 2300 amp from my friend, I figure I should get a new HU.

I need sugguestions, reasonable suggestions. I am not entering any comps and I dont want to spend a lot on this. I am also not replacing any stock speakers. What it needs to do is 1) play CDs 2) have a FM tuner 3) have audio out jacks for the subs 4) fit into the large openning for the 98 X 5) look decent and not have some silly looking display. 6) be easy to use 7) I would like to be able to hook up an MP3 player to it as well, but this isnt absolutely necessary.

Also please let me know if doing the "big 3 upgrade" is worth it in my situation.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rx4phun said:
Hey guys I am not by any means audio savy, so I need help.

I have a stock stereo in my 98 XLT with a stock head unit. My HU display is out and since I just picked up 2 Audiobahn 12s in a ported box with a MTX 2300 amp from my friend, I figure I should get a new HU.

I need sugguestions, reasonable suggestions. I am not entering any comps and I dont want to spend a lot on this. I am also not replacing any stock speakers. What it needs to do is 1) play CDs 2) have a FM tuner 3) have audio out jacks for the subs 4) fit into the large openning for the 98 X 5) look decent and not have some silly looking display. 6) be easy to use 7) I would like to be able to hook up an MP3 player to it as well, but this isnt absolutely necessary.

Also please let me know if doing the "big 3 upgrade" is worth it in my situation.

Thanks

I'm not audio savvy either but you shouldn't have any problem finding a replacement HU for your Explorer. Most of them today not only play CDs but CD-R, CD-RW and MP3 formats, some even play WMA format too.

For example my JVC unit has an AM-FM tuner with 3 FM channels that have 6 presets for 6 stations each and 1 AM channel with 6, it has a line out for a 6 disk changer, and plays CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs and MP3s

I hope you find what you're looking for and sorry I couldn't be of much help

My reccomendation is to go to your local Best Buy or Circuit City and check out their headunits. I'm sure you will like something.

Anyone have any specific suggestions or an experience with one themselves?

ok well first all hu are easy to use and all aftermarkets have sub hook ups

now its up to u with what u like and wut u think looks good cus thats the main concern!!!!!
go to crutchfield.com to get an idea on wut u like!
as for fitting in the big hole of the x thats just the back plate that u can get!

I have owned a Kenwood DPX 4030 for the past 2 yrs and it has been a great deck. It fits in the double din radio slot. It is a CD/Tape/Tuner has CD changer controls and plays mp3 coded CDs. The face is silver and the display color can be changed. I think Kenwood has a new version of this deck but it comes in black. Its not flashy but it gets the job done. It has 4 sub outputs

This is the new deck DPX 301 http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/ListProduct.aspx?k1=2&k2=46&k3=173&pr=2378

This is the one that I have
http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Kenwood_DPX_MP4030~CLT-HSNL

I have two questions for you:

1 Where are you located ?
2 What is you budget for the deck?

Sarge.

I have used nothing but Clarion in my past 3 vehicles and have had no complaints thus far. I just installed a Clarion DXZ955MC in my 98 Sport, and it's probably the best deck I've ever owned. Unfortunately, it's a little pricey (I paid around $300).

Since you're on a budget, the Best Buy/Circuit City option is your best bet.

Good luck!

edit: One more place to check is Crutchfield .

try and find a deck with 4 volt RCA out puts. You will get a nicer, cleaner signal going to your amps. I've always liked JVC. Not to pricey, they have nice decks, with all the features you could want. I have had my JVC voice activated deck for 8 years now and no problems with it.

The Higher-end Panasonics are very good. 5 volt preouts, 9 band equalizer, nice big dot matrix display that can show track and folder info at the same time for mp3, and a powerful internal amp. check them out at Crutchfield. IMO its worth it to spend say $250 on a quality HU than to spend $175 on something mediocre... heck these days that price difference amounts to about a tank of gas.

Thanks guys I am looking at those recommended. I wouldnt mind finding one to play mp3s and maybe has a 6 disc changer.

Sarge I am from Connecticut and my budget is not really definited. I don't know what these go for. I dont really want to spend over 250 out the door. I would love to spend less. The reality is that I am probably going to give the explorer to my brother in the next year. It doesnt really fit my job at this point. although I do love her

I just checked out the Kenwood dpx 701 and 501. Both seem awesome but the 701 is way way out ofmy price range. 501 seems ok maybe one price if I can get it for 240 or so. I am still running stock speaker and just the sub listed above

I also really like the double din that the kenwood offers the clarion is expensive and too small for the openning. How important to sound is it for the HU to be 4v instead of 2.5v like the kenwood?

First, not all aftermarket h/u have sub preouts. So ask for it. I have the Alpine CDA-9856 in my '96 Ex, & love it. It plays CD/MP3/WMA. It also has 3 preouts, SIRIUS or XM ready, full-speed iPod connection, aux input, & changer control. All that for around $230 (MSRP).

A higher preamp voltage basically means that you won't have to crank the amplifier gain as high to get the sound you desire. As a result, this will help to reduce the noise in your system. Honestly, you probably wouldn't be able to hear any difference between a HU with 2.5V preouts and one with 4V preouts. Generally speaking, it's a good practice to go for a HU with the higher preout voltage since it helps to produce a cleaner sound from your amp.

If you're looking for something more a little more on the technical side, check out this article I found via Dead Link Removed.

Rx4phun,

If you are located in or around Georgia. There is a Kenwood outlet store in Norcross GA. This is where I pick up some of my Kenwood stuff at a discount price because it is a factory store and all items come directly from Kenwood. The only problem I see is the store has no website. Its just a brick and mortar store.

guys is 98 XLT has a double din HU size??? Im bit confused.. coz it looks like 1.5din

It is a double din. Have a DD deck in there now and had a deck that I bought in Germany that was 2 Din setup which means it is actually 2 separate 1 din stereos that are attached together and it fit pretty good.

thanks Sgt.Rock

But the bottom din looks smaller..

I just ordered the Kenwood dpx-501. We will see how it works out. Ended up being $222 of Ebay with shipping. About $50 more than I wanted to spend but whatever

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rx4phun enjoy :thumbsup: . the only thing you may have to do is trim the inside edge of the trim piece that goes around the radio( the part that has lighter/wiper/foglight buttons. dont worry its a very small lip that is in the left and right side that holds the stock radio from sliding back to far.
PS another good thing about kenwood is that you can use any of their cd changers from as far back as 98 maybe earlier :eek:

Back