ProComp ES9000 shocks

'97 V8

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
ft. knox ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 mounty 5.0 4x4 baby!!
I just bought 4, well 3, the 4th was free, procomp es9000 shocks. They are for a vehicle lifted 2.5 inches. Bieng that my rear suspension is up 3" and the front is up 1.5(soon to be a full two) i figured these shocks will function quite well and be in the correct dampening range. Does anyone who has these shocks have any input about them?

Now i have one more question about the 5th shock. What size shock should i replace that with? Any regular size shock will fit correct?

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

man this "5th" shock sure is getting a lot of talk lately, most say just take it out and leave it out, i took it out just to see if it did anything and there was no change but i put it back since i didnt have anything else to do plus since ford put it there i bet its there for a reason

I have the 9000s on the rear of my Sport and I like them. They are a bit stiff, more a universal type shock than vehicle specific, but they do well.

Dan

2 questions: where did you buy the shocks from, i am currently looking at those same shocks for my sport, and secondly where is this "5th" shock

99stocksport said:
2 questions: where did you buy the shocks from, i am currently looking at those same shocks for my sport, and secondly where is this "5th" shock

Try 4 wheel parts, they did/have a 3 for 1 on Pro Comp shocks.

i got mine off summitracing.com

whoa, why are people taking the 5th shock out? its purpose is to stop axle hop in the rear, without putting a super stiff rear suspension in. it is definatly very usefull on 2wd models and less so on awd's

I got mine from Summit, mainly because I have had great experiences with them and they have really quick shipping to my house, 2 days with regular ground shipping.

Dan

you should like them, i like mine, but my gf hates the stiff ride.

it's pretty stiff, but i forget all about it when i find some dirt and hit the gas.

i can hear her now...'why do you do that?'

'cubs it's fun...WEEEeeeeeee'

That 5th shock is definatly useful.

I find this post interesting due to the fact that I want the information also. No one has answered the question. What shock can you use to replace the 5th shock when lifted. Ford put it there for a reason and I do not want to just remove mine. I'd rather find a replacement when I lift my truck. Could you just use a shock with a 2" longer body?

blluebear said:
I find this post interesting due to the fact that I want the information also. No one has answered the question. What shock can you use to replace the 5th shock when lifted. Ford put it there for a reason and I do not want to just remove mine. I'd rather find a replacement when I lift my truck. Could you just use a shock with a 2" longer body?

I believe so.

So i got my shocs today. Summit sent me the wrong pair for the front. They are sending me the right ones and will be hear monday. I got the rears on. I had to buy bolts and nuts at the store to hold the top part of the shock in. The new shocks rock. My rear doesnt change lanes anymore when i hit a bump. Also i like the feel of the shocks and cant wait to get the front ones on!
I used a forklift we have at work and lifted the left front tire up, that was cool. The truck flexes fine still.

forklift story is useless without pics

[QUOTE='97 V8]I believe so.

So i got my shocs today. Summit sent me the wrong pair for the front. They are sending me the right ones and will be hear monday. I got the rears on. I had to buy bolts and nuts at the store to hold the top part of the shock in. The new shocks rock. My rear doesnt change lanes anymore when i hit a bump. Also i like the feel of the shocks and cant wait to get the front ones on!
I used a forklift we have at work and lifted the left front tire up, that was cool. The truck flexes fine still.[/QUOTE]

What is the correct part number for the front? I am assuming my 01 sport 4x4 would use the same one. Thanks.

-Rich

Almost forgot to update this. Well after the second time of them sending the wrong shock...it would barely reach the upper mount fully extended i gave up on them. I sent the set back and went out and bought oem shocks. They were a lot stiffer then i thought, and imo are perfectly matched with the rear.

When I had PC 9000's on mine with the 1.5" TT in the front and Shaq in the rear, I used stock shocks in the front and 1" longer in the rear. Originaly I had 1" longer ones on the front, but then they would bottom out to early.

Stic-o said:
When I had PC 9000's on mine with the 1.5" TT in the front and Shaq in the rear, I used stock shocks in the front and 1" longer in the rear. Originaly I had 1" longer ones on the front, but then they would bottom out to early.

Other then a bodylift all I have is the TT in the front, so should I just run stock size PC 9000? If so do you know the part number? On summit it gives me 3 different possible part numbers.

-Rich

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back