• Register Today It's free!

help me out please

Madguitarist89

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 limited
whats goin on, im new to the forums, my name is mark. i was once a proud mustang driver with a distraught dream to one day drive a big burly off roader. well, back in may my dream came to play when i was hit taking a protected turn totalling my mustang and giving me the oportunity to select/buy another car. well i then bought a 98 jeep cherokee sport which i had plans on lifting. i worked all summer long, long and hard for the cash that i now have in my bank to lift my jeep (i added on a couple of differant mods here and there, exhaust, fog lights, cai ect.). welllll, i had plans on lifting it last monday, i was gonna order rustys 4.5 inch suspension lift with 15 inch mickey thompson rims and 31' michey thompson tires (www.rustysoffroad.com) but 3 days before that happened, me and my friend decided to take a short road trip to the beach, i let him drive half the way and after a 5 hour drive when we were 40 miles from the beach, he rearended a brand new bmw, totaling my jeep. my parents decided to let me have their 99 ford explorer limited edition so they can pick up something new themselves.

now to what i came here for. i have plans on lifting it very very soon, as in within the next couple of days when i get all my questions answered. im looking at this 3inch body lift for about $300 and im gonna get 32 or 33 inch mickey thompson tires on my stock rims (i rather like the stock limited rims). my question is, where can i find a bigger lift then that? ive looked every where and nobody sells ford explorer suspension lifts. second question, if i stick with the 3 inch body, what size tire can i fit on my explorer without having to trim part of the fender? i was thinking 32 but i'll go 33 if i can clear them. another question, how good does exhaust sound on explorers? i want something that has a good rumble, i dont want to sound like a giant bumble bee driving down the road. what are some good ideas for exhaust work? my boss told me that you can get custom dual exhaust done and it would sound amazing. btw its only a v6

again thank you all for help, i read on www.cardomain.com from some guy that he got all his help from this forum. im also a member of another forum, www.bodybuilding.com

For a 3" body lift I highly recommend the Performance Accessories kit.

There are two 4" suspension lifts available for the Explorer and they cost around $1500, give or take. One is made by Trailmaster and the other is by Superlift. The superlift kit is a better engineered kit for the X.

As for exhaust, you could get a cat back, they all sound the same to me.

http://www.trailmastersuspension.com/suspension/fordchart.htm
(bottom of page)

http://www.superlift.com/suspension/ford/96-EXPLORER.asp
(click the 3-4 lift system button)

what is this performance accessories kit you speak of? thanks for the advice, 1500 is way to steep for that extra inch so i'll stick with the body. what size tires can i fit?

http://www.performanceaccessories.com/

Click on application guide, you would need the 3" kit, part number 883. It is a Ranger kit, but works with the X. Pretty sure the kit is $150.

Without cutting you can fit 32's. You'll have to cut to fit 33's, but I know that everyone here has had different experiences with fitment due to different tire and rim combinations. For gas mileage and ride if you are going to mainly street the truck go with 32".

Matt

Back