Underdrive pulley- why don't you have one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Underdrive pulley- why don't you have one?

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I am curious as to why you guys don't use Underdrive pulleys?

Spindlecone and myself are the only users that I am aware of.

Thanks ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can say I don't have one largely because of a lack of knowledge. Is there a thread that explains what they do, where to get them, cost, and explains installation?

What he said. What is the main benefit here?

ajr2000 said:
What he said. What is the main benefit here?

The benefits are

(1) better gas mileage
(2) more rear wheel HP

Would I see decent results from my OHV from this? It looks like the crankshaft pulley ran you about $300 total, is that right? What kind of milage improvement did you see from just this pulley? I would be a little weiry with this with my cooling system. I've had some issues with overheating in the past that are now under control, but I would be afraid to reduce preformace of my water pump. I might need to add this onto the list of things I want to do to my X. Those articles were helpful. Thanks!!

do they make an underdrive pulley for my 92 OHV?

where 2 buy? does it affect your accessories at all?

Cost/Benefit wasn't enough for me.

Worthless invention...

2001ExpSport said:
Worthless invention...

Hey its Matt!!!!

Yeah, I guess it really isn't worth it for me when you break down the cost vs. results. My pockets aren't that deep.

-Rich

churd69 said:
Hey its Matt!!!!

Yeah, I guess it really isn't worth it for me when you break down the cost vs. results. My pockets aren't that deep.

-Rich

Ya ya, wassup man?

I hardly come around much anymore. How's the rig?

Too much hassle to do myself. I don't have the patience or ability of others. I have Torque Master Headers much higher on my list of desirable mods and those are hardly dead easy to do either. Unlikely I'll ever do the pulleys.

Last I remember reading, the ones they had made for the OHV had problems staying in one piece...I take it that problem has been fixed?

edhand said:
Last I remember reading, the ones they had made for the OHV had problems staying in one piece...I take it that problem has been fixed?

Its the same one for the OHV and SOHC.

For me it's a combination of a few things..

1. I don't have the money..my pockets aren't deep as a colelge student
2. I don't have the time..see above about being a college student
3. Ignorance. I don't know enough about them or what they would do for me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UD pullys are a great compliment to your other perf mods (a little here, a little there)
Matbe good for 8/10 ponys.
Downside is they are pricey (got mine on a GB for 260 shipped) plus you need a new serp belt 30 or so bux.
They are a stage 3 mod, only after you get a flasher, intake and exhaust,IMO
Are they worth it? not as a stand alone mod, do they free up H.P. Yep, a little.

Back