Buying new Rotors...have some questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying new Rotors...have some questions.

ions

Reaction score
City, State
Pasadena, MD / Annapolis , MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
Changing the brakes this weekend and I was wondering are cross drilled / slotted roters worth the money? or am i better off going for just regular stock rotors? I can get all 4 rotors cross drilled and slotted for about 217$ shipped on the net is this a good price? I also don't drive my ex likes its a race car so I was just wondering if there would be much advantace for me switching.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm, think you could let me know where online you can get that deal?

Yeah, I want to know as well. They are like a minimun of $200 for the front and $160 rear (slotted and cross drilled).

Any info is apprectiated.

If you dont drive it hard or have bigger tires why get the slotted? Yea it will decrease your stopping distance but arent your brakes fine how they are?

There are 4 pairs (front and back cross drilled and slotted) on ebay.com for 169+45 s/h on ebay.com for a 01-04 Sport Trac 2wd. Thanks chew just looking at opitions cause i don't really know the difference just heard they were better than stock rotors at alittle bit more of a price thought i would ask it would just be an upgrade for better stopping thats all since i'm not lifting it altho i might be putting on bigger rims once i work up the money.

Great price since you only need the fronts

I put on 32" MTRs (they are HEAVY tires). When I drove away it felt like I doubled my stopping distance. I immediately ordered and put on some slotted rotors and performance pads. I noticed a HUGE improvement. They gave me back what I felt I had before the tire change, and more.

I think they are worth the extra $$$, especially on the day you stop 2" from someones back bumper. :)

Hmm, didn't notice you had a trac. Can'd find a set that cheap for an ex. :(

spindlecone said:
Great price since you only need the fronts

why would he only need the front? he should have rotors in the front and rear.

-Rich

damn, just realized this thread is over 1yr old.........grrrrrrr.....well hope they worked out either way.

churd69 said:
why would he only need the front? he should have rotors in the front and rear.

-Rich

damn, just realized this thread is over 1yr old.........grrrrrrr.....well hope they worked out either way.
01s had rear drums, 4 wheel discs came out in 03

spindlecone said:
01s had rear drums, 4 wheel discs came out in 03

are you sure? I have an 01 sport and I have 4 wheel disc. If they didn't put them on the 01 sport trac that would seem like someone made a bonehead move.

-Rich

churd69 said:
are you sure? I have an 01 sport and I have 4 wheel disc. If they didn't put them on the 01 sport trac that would seem like someone made a bonehead move.

-Rich
yes, I am sure, positive to be exact

Yes he is right I have the drums in the rear. I just went with stock rotors.

i heard that the drilled rotors will crack around the hole when they get really hot

I did 4 Power Slots and Hawk HPS pads about 20K ago. I love the stopping power and panic stop control I now have but I wonder. Would hi-perfomance pads alone give me a significant increase in pulling in the reigns? The pads are wearing great. I don't see the slots wearing them down prematurely. Even though they're described as "low dust", the Hawks put out more dust than the OEM quality aftermarket pads that I replaced.

I did 4 Power Slots and Hawk HPS pads about 20K ago. I love the stopping power and panic stop control I now have but I wonder. Would hi-perfomance pads alone give me a significant increase in pulling in the reigns? The pads are wearing great. I don't see the slots wearing them down prematurely. Even though they're described as "low dust", the Hawks put out more dust than the OEM quality aftermarket pads that I replaced.

how do they sound? i heard that the hi-perf pads sqeal when they are cold, how do the hawk ones do?

Back