• Register Today It's free!

Theft Light flashing

mcushing

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer
I have an '02 Explorer. After listening to the radio with the ignition off while I was cleaning the car, everything shut off and the red theft light started flashing. Is there anything I can do to get it running again without a tow to the dealer? I am not sure if the local dealer is open tomorrow (Labor Day) and we have rain forecast and the window is open. I can't even push it into the garage because I can't get it into gear. Can anyone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The key does not work?

i dont know why it wont run, but my theft light always flashes when the explorer is turned off. i doubt the two are related. have you checked your fuses?

same thing to mine a couple of months ago. ran the battery down. just
took a jump. then recharged the battery overnight, slow trickle charge.
hope thats all yours is.

yeah try putting a different (charged) battery in it.

once the battery is drained, the THEFT light goes crazy and you can hear the relay for the THEFT system going crazy - a continuous clicking sound.

n3m3s1s said:
i dont know why it wont run, but my theft light always flashes when the explorer is turned off. i doubt the two are related. have you checked your fuses?

Same here. I actually got sat in my truck one time listening to the radio, and forgot about the theft feature. Well needless to say when I opened the door it reminded me really quick. I went scrambling for my key fob trying to stop the honking. I don't see why your truck wouldn't start.

The key doesn't work. The key fob will only unlock my liftgate.

When everything locked up, the theft light started flashing. I attempted to use my key and my key fob to disarm it but it did not work. I was unable to turn the key or to unlock anything other than the liftgate with the key fob. My battery has now run down. I am going to try charging the battery to see if it will remedy the problem. If it does not work, are there any other suggestions? The dealership is closed until tomorrow, it is raining, and my window is down.

Sounds like a new battery might be in order.

mcushing said:
The dealership is closed until tomorrow, it is raining, and my window is down.
Hook a jump start cable between your battery and another car's battery (the other car's engine doesnt have to be running) and use that setup to get the windows back up

Back