Electronic Rust Protection | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electronic Rust Protection

Has anyone ever heard of or, used some type of electronic rust proofing?
I have seen some on Ebay and found multiple companies on line that sell these products. The use of electricity to inhibit the formation of rust sounds a little to god to be true. The one time cost is a little high to ($200+), but you wont have to oil spray your car every year, so it should eventualy pay for its self. Any input would be great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah boats use sacrificial annodes.

I had one of these boxes on my truck when i got it. It was attached to the innerside of the passengers side fender with some two sided tape. It didnt seem like it did much of anything as my truck still had rust, and i hooked up my ammeter in series with it and wasnt detecting any draw, so it aparantly was either broken, or didnt do anything at all. either way i ripped it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

alexefron said:
I had one of these boxes on my truck when i got it. It was attached to the innerside of the passengers side fender with some two sided tape.
Two sided tape - thats not very conductive ;) Btw, race ya to Dibela's!

I dont remember, it was plastic however which is also not very conductive. i looked it up and it claimed to "vibrate" to shake off salt if i remember correctly. seemed like bs to me.

and yes dibelas is awesome (its a sub place for those out of the loop)

IZwack said:
Sorry to get off topic but how much did it cost to ship from Hawaii?

Depending on where you are shipping to. From hawaii to L.A. is about 1,000.00 When I shipped my x from houston to hawaii it was 1800.00

Thought I’d drop in with a comment on the Electronic Rust Prevention
Here in Australia most 4x4 end up driving on the beach and for those of us who do this often , rust has up until recently been a real problem. These ERP units have proven to be the best protect available when install correctly.
One was installed on my explorer from new in 2000. With this device and an under body soluble oil high pressure car wash (which is available on exit from the beach) has all but eliminated rust from my vehicle.
On previses vehicles a mixture of diesel and sump oil had to be sprayed onto the car before and after a trip to the beach to keep the rust at bay. (Plus the car wash after.)
Nowadays this is not good practice and is frowned upon by Environment Protection Authority .
So these things are a real plus for rust plotection.

The technology behind these devices is very solid. My dad works in a field dealing with the Corrosion of Steel in Concrete to prevent corrosion damage to buildings. This technique is called Cathodic protection:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathodic_protection

I remember seeing it shown on Trucks! a couple of years ago. If Jackie says it works I believe him.

Canadian Tire sells one varity of these units.

0477905_450_CC_5ab63.jpg

Provides total rust protection for the entire vehicle body, inside and out
Used by industry professionals in some of the harshest industrial conditions for 20 years (salt harvesting, mining, aviation, snow removal)
Cost effective (one time purchase)
Environmentally friendly (chemical-free technology is completely harmless to the driver and vehicle)

Back