Can't go over 65mph?

proffessor1979

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I'm starting a new thread for this.
My check enging light had been on and it was readin that the EGR sensor was bad so I replaced it. I didn't have the computer reset or do it myself yet, but right after i changed it i noticed some really wierd problems

It basically feels like i have no power. When i first start driving it feels like the truck doesn't want to move. As I am accelerating and finally get up to around 65 -70 MPH and around 3K -3.5K RPM I can feel the truck force the RPM's back down and I can't go any faster. It happens more in OD the D. If I take my foot off the gas and then punch it sometimes i am able to get up to 70 -75 but right away it knocks my RPMs down and makes the truck slow down. It's like it's limiting my speed or something.

Would it be a vaccuum leak someplace? I really have no idea at this point.
I am going to disconnect the battery tomorrow after work to reset the computer, but if anyone can offer some suggestions until then it would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start by checking for vaccum leaks around the EGR, did you hook all the hoses back up to it.
Also i would go ahead and unhook the battery for 5 min, to let the comp reset.

josh

Disconnect the battery.....wait half hour......reconnect.....drive it around.......read codes, fix.

While you're doing that.......think:

As I am accelerating and finally get up to around 65 -70 MPH and around 3K -3.5K RPM I can feel the truck force the RPM's back down and I can't go any faster. It happens more in OD the D. If I take my foot off the gas and then punch it sometimes i am able to get up to 70 -75 but right away it knocks my RPMs down and makes the truck slow down. It's like it's limiting my speed or something.

Maybe........trans is going..........have it checked.......slipping/not shifting into/out of gear?

Aloha,Mark

PS.............see this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165818

Vacuum problems usually show up as, "rough idle issues."

Start with the simple and easy, like checking for vac leaks, bad plugs + wires, fuel delivery, and so forth. Too much unknown about your truck to give a definitive answer. Mileage? O2 sensors status? Plugs? Wires? Transmission? How's the compression on the cylinders?

Rhett said:
Start with the simple and easy, like checking for vac leaks, bad plugs + wires, fuel delivery, and so forth. Too much unknown about your truck to give a definitive answer. Mileage? O2 sensors status? Plugs? Wires? Transmission? How's the compression on the cylinders?

Mileage is about 138K
I just had the fuel sending unit (not sure if thats the actual name) that is above the gas tank replaced a few months ago
02 sensors replaced 2 years ago maybe

I plan on taking it in for a tune up this weekend for the plugs/wires which probably need to be replaced. I replaced them myself maybe like 2 years ago, but I probably didn't torque it right or something

I don't know about the compression on the cylinders or how to check that

The Transmission was fine with no issues, then all of a sudden it was giving me some problems but that was after i had the EGR problems
I got it serviced and the problems like rough shifting etc seem to have gone away.

How do i get the transmission checked/ Just take it somewhere and say check my transmission?

Also, where do you get the hoses for things like the EGR system? I think i need to replace some of them.

chazxploder said:
Suicide. The Ony Solution.

lol what? I don't know anything about these things. I mean I took good care of my truck, then it was like all of a sudden this crap happened at once.

Transmission check......well, yes......you could go to your favorite shop and say, "Could you check my transmission, I'm having problems......(explain)." Or you could have a trusted, "knowledgeable friend" drive your truck and give you an opinion. Or you could start by watching the RPMs..........as you're gaining speed........if the RPMs go suddenly up but, no speed gain......it's slipping.

Than, you could also do the test mentioned here (converter test):

Dead Link Removed

That being said...........yes, a tune up may be due.

Or, vacuume leak (though as I said.......mostly shows up as an idle issue)...........or other elec. componet.........so, check for codes.

I don't usually push my Explorer past 70MPH, so I don't really know..........perhaps, the engine is just "tired" and/or "has reached it's limit." I mean the 4.0L ohv engine (160 HP) isn't a HP monster. And, the vehicle is like a shoe box driving down the freeway.

Aloha, Mark

PS...........you said:

get up to around 65 -70 MPH and around 3K -3.5K RPM

Depending on your gears (which you don't mention)...............those RPMs sound high for the speed............so, it got me thinking transmission problem............OD isn't working.

If I take my foot off the gas and then punch it sometimes i am able to get up to 70 -75 but right away it knocks my RPMs down and makes the truck slow down. It's like it's limiting my speed or something.

I don't think our '94s have a rev. limiter...............and, I don't or wouldn't expect to "punch it" to get the Explorer above 65-70 MPH anyway............WATCH OUT FOR THE POLICE!!!

ma96782 said:
Transmission check......well, yes......you could go to your favorite shop and say, "Could you check my transmission, I'm having problems......(explain)." Or you could have a trusted, "knowledgeable friend" drive your truck and give you an opinion. Or you could start by watching the RPMs..........as you're gaining speed........if the RPMs go suddenly up but, no speed gain......it's slipping.

Than, you could also do the test mentioned here (converter test):

Dead Link Removed

That being said...........yes, a tune up may be due.

Or, vacuume leak (though as I said.......mostly shows up as an idle issue)...........or other elec. componet.........so, check for codes.

I don't usually push my Explorer past 70MPH, so I don't really know..........perhaps, the engine is just "tired" and/or "has reached it's limit." I mean the 4.0L ohv engine (160 HP) isn't a HP monster. And, the vehicle is like a shoe box driving down the freeway.

Aloha, Mark

PS...........you said:

Depending on your gears (which you don't mention)...............those RPMs sound high for the speed............so, it got me thinking transmission problem............OD isn't working.

I don't think our '94s have a rev. limiter...............and, I don't or wouldn't expect to "punch it" to get the Explorer above 65-70 MPH anyway............WATCH OUT FOR THE POLICE!!!

Thanks for all the info..I'd rather not drive that fast, but I just moved to Philly, and the people there drive a minimum of like 90MPH on I95, it's crazy.

I'm going to take it in for service this weekend so we'll see how it goes.

How's the exhaust system? Maybe a clogged Cat. Odd that it happened immediatly after the EGR fix.

proffessor1979 said:
I plan on taking it in for a tune up this weekend for the plugs/wires which probably need to be replaced. I replaced them myself maybe like 2 years ago, but I probably didn't torque it right or something

Ok, if it were me, I would first change a bunch of things so that I KNEW they were right. That way, I could narrow it down.
1) plugs + wires
2) sea foam treatment
3) MAF cleaning
4) new air filter
5) fuel filter
6) make sure t-stat is working properly
7) transmission filter, flush + fluid change
8) check for "Check Engine" lights, pull codes if necessary
9) check TPS, make sure it was right.
10) make sure the throttle body butterfly was opening the way it should

#2, #3, #4 are cheap and easy and you ought to do them straightaway. That may fix 99% of your problems.

How's the exhaust system? Maybe a clogged Cat.

and

9) check TPS, make sure it was right.
10) make sure the throttle body butterfly was opening the way it should
Yes, those are good too............the engine may just need to breathe (and exhaust).

get up to around 65 -70 MPH and around 3K -3.5K RPM
Though, the RPMs being soooo high, has me thinking that it IS breathing.

Aloha, Mark

Hi rpm for the speed. Plugged cat or bad fuel pressure regulator methinx.

Thanks for all the replies

I took it in this weekend and I am told I need a new MAF sensor and plugs/wires to start with. The guy started talking about codes and everything. 17* something codes.

He said that oil from my K&N airfilter pretty much ruined the MAF. He tried cleaning it with no luck. So I'm getting a new one and then the plugs/wires. HE said the plugs I had in were double platinum and weren't the correct ones.

460 bucks for a new MAF and plugs/wires..parts and labor. Does that sound reasonable? I know the MAF is easy to change, but i figured I'd let the pro do the work. He said that may take care of the rest of my issues.

proffessor1979 said:
He said that oil from my K&N airfilter pretty much ruined the MAF. He tried cleaning it with no luck.

I call ** on that one. Well, let me put it this way: It's *possible* that the MAF sensor could be worn out, but not likely. And not being able to clean an oiled-up maf filament?? Those things ARE cleanable, even if very oiled up.

proffessor1979 said:
460 bucks for a new MAF and plugs/wires..parts and labor. Does that sound reasonable? I know the MAF is easy to change, but i figured I'd let the pro do the work. He said that may take care of the rest of my issues.

A new MAF is expensive. But he's right, a new MAF could conceivably take care of all of your issues. For that money, I'd want new plugs and wires too.

This is INTERESTING.......pls keep us informed.

Aloha,Mark

Here is a breakdown of what he charged ( I don't think it's bad)

Labor:
Computer Diagnositics $89.95

MAF- Remove and Replace
(includes component test)- 63.96

Ignition set, spark plugs - remove and replace $71.96

Diagnostic Trouble Codes:
172; Lack of 02 switching; Bank 1
176; Laco of O2 switching; Bank 2

Mass air flow sensor contaminated by oil. Cleaned air filter and reinstalled dry. Ignition wires are worn. Spark plugs worn and wrong type. Heater control valve broken due to placement of aftermarket air filter. We by-passed to prevent coolant leaking and engine overheating

Parts:
MAF $147.90
Plugs: $23.94
Ignition wire set $64.89
shop supplies $6.49

then a hazmat charge of 3.59
then tax
Total was $501.04

All I know is, I have zero problems at the moment. Check engine light is gone...no hesitation during acceleration/decceleration. No jerking in reverse or drive.
It's really running nice right now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trust me, the Explorer can go faster than 70 MPH. Even a 90 HP Geo Storm, 1.6L SOHC, can hit 130 MPH. I personally have gotten an Ex to 80 MPH before, but vehicles with a larger center of gravity scare the crap out of me at higher speeds, so I backed down.

Back