keypad light pictures

yob_yeknom

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Glade Hill, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT & '06 Limited
Here are some pictures of the keypad from my '01 Explorer. Definitely no way to change the lights.

Pic 1- It's the keypad with the 5 seperate buttons, not the one with all 5 buttons on a strip.

Pic 2- The backside of the buttons. Since they are all one piece of rubber, I imagine everything is the same as the earlier keypads, just a new look on the outside of the door.

Pic 3- The circuit board inside the keypad. There are 5 very small odd shaped lights, 1 behind each button.

Pic 4- The lights have square bottoms and are held on by very small clips soldered to the board. The clips also provide the connections to the lights.

Attachments

• 01keypad.JPG
    01keypad.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 254
  • buttonsr.JPG
    buttonsr.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 238
  • lights.JPG
    lights.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 240
  • lightsr.JPG
    lightsr.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 241

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the reason why I didn't pull the keypad apart on my '97. It has the buttons all side by side on one strip. The lights died in it, so if someone wants to take theirs apart to comfirm the lights can't be changed in it either like I assume, I'd appreciate it. It only take 15 minutes to take it all apart and put back together, and the only tools really needed are a flat and phillips head screwdriver. Take the 2 screws out of the door handle, pop the door panel off, unclip the wires for the side mirrors, pry the clip holding the keypad to the right and the keypad will come out the front of your door. I would do it myself, but I'd hate to cut open the FatMat if the lights can't be changed.

Attachments

• 97door.JPG
    97door.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 245

I am going to say the 91-97 keypads are unservicable. :confused:

It seems to be a factory sealed, one-time unit.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 224
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 234
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 238
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 237

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I thought I remember the backside of the keypad looking a little different on my '97 than the '01, now I know I wasn't crazy. :) Obviously there's no way to change those lights either. Well, at least now we finally have a definitive answer on the forum.

section525, its a good thing you took that picture.... I was goint to atempt to take my key pad apart tomorrow. I looked at mine in the past and thought that it couldnt be taken apart (97x). But when I seen yob_yeknom take his apart I was going to take it apart and put my own LEDs in the key pad.

Back