To burp cooling system

Alfredo

Reaction score
City, State
Buenos Aires - Argentina
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Hi guys, I need your help!!!

I drained my cooling system to change water and antifreeze.
Now, when I try to refill the system, I add half the total capacity (1 gallon, aprox) and I can't add anymore, because the system seems to be full.

I supouse that i need to burp the system, but I don't know how to do it.
I did a search in this forum, but i dond't understand the procedure (excuse me for my english...), what can y do?

Need to drain again?
Disconect 1 hose? Wich one?
Another suggestion?

Thanks in advance!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

place a funnel in the top of the radiator and make sure it fits snuggley and fill the funnel with coolant. then start the motor. the motor will draw in any needed coolant and let out the air (burping). hust keep an eye on it as the motor is running and refill the funnel as neccessary.

If you only drained the radiator ****pit, then you didn't drain all 2 gallons then you only need 1 gallon to fill it up.

Thanks OldMech, but i drained all the system.
I will try the funnel way...!!!

Is your EX overheating or running hot?

No, the system is ok.

But i'm going to south Patagonia (0º F or less) in a few days, and i need to be sure that mixture water / antifreeze is ok for that temp.

I read about the T on heater hoses, but i don't know what is it. i'm affraid that we don't have it here...

Also when burping (in other words, with the radiator cap removed on a cool system) it is a good idea to squeeze the upper radiator hose at it's highest point, to get more air out of the system.

Back