Flatbed, rollcage phase 2 project | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flatbed, rollcage phase 2 project

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410Fortune said:
Looks really nice, I like the gas filler holder.
Do you plan to tie it into a frame a bit more? A bit more traingulation?

Please forgive me the cages I am used to seeing being built online these days are for race trucks and desert terrain, so the topic of overkill, shearing tubes, triangulation, etc are discussed alot. I know most of us 4x4 guys just need to protect the passenger compartment in case of a "flop" more then a end over end 3 times roll....so I am just curious if you plan to beef that sucker up a bit more or just focus on the passenger cabin?

Excellent execution and layout so far!

You basically hit it on the head. The cage was designed for low speed flops and rolls. I will be adding more tube around the cab in the spring I'm guessing. If I needed a cage for high speed protection, I definately would have gone with an internal cage with lots of triangulation.

Finished Product.
IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1815.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

sick nasty

that looks awesome. almost makes me wish i had a pickup to do that to... almost. where did you get those taillights from? and was it pretty easy to wire the stock wires into it?

Maaaaan. I likey. looks badass thier chief.

mynameisaric said:
that looks awesome. almost makes me wish i had a pickup to do that to... almost. where did you get those taillights from? and was it pretty easy to wire the stock wires into it?

I got the lights from www.vehiclelight.com. They sucked to wire up. I had to use a 3 wire to 2 wire converter because I had seperate turn and stop signals and the converter did not work at first. Then I figured out that I needed a dummy load on the primary side of the converter to make it work right. A few resistors later I was up and running.

hey DB-1 are you listening?

If you see me on the streets around here in my BII or explorer HONK

well done sir, lets go test it out!

wow man real nice setup

i would paint the truck .... dont know what....but somethings not clicking. it looks bad ass , and grate job on it, i just think camo.. or flat black...something....

Bravo on a job well done. Great work sir.

Very nice job, the paint is alright but some olive drab maybe...

Nice Dude! I likes! I would take you up on the wheeling, but my truck has been down all summer!!!

looks great..very nice job

How do you like the bedliner spray paint? I need something for my interior and wasnt sure how that stuff did. Also what is the price on that stuff?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought some from Advance Auto Parts and i love it. It was something like 8 bucks a can and i used it on some racks and a brush guard that i made for my ATV and it's been great.

Back