• Register Today It's free!

Just Ordered My TM Headers!

Mtn8er

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' Mountaineer 5.0
I just talked to Bob and ordered my Torque Monster headers today...yaaay! I went with the larger collecter version of the TM headers for in the future when I want to put in a 347 or I change my cams. Got the custom bent EGR tube to accomidate a 1" spacer, and got the Ford Racing EFI heat spacer. Bob has to make them and should take him a few weeks. Should have them by 1st of October, I can't wait.

I currently have a magnaflow exhaust with 2 1/2 in. piping and my 2 lower cats taken off. Was told to keep my 2 upper cats on, not to change them to high flow cats or anything and if anything put a resonator on after the muffler to create more back pressure since I got the larger collecter version headers. When I put a 347 in it then I can go with 2 1/2 in. high flow cats, take off my resonator, and maybe go with 3" piping. Was also told to stay with the GT 40 head when I upgrade to 347.

One thing Bob did tell me is I will definitely need to reprogram the computer after I install these headers and because of all the other little mods I already have, so that will be next. I will get a resonator next and I'm thinking about getting rid of my Magnaflow muffler and putting on a Borla. Other than that I will keep you guys posted and let you know how they turn out after I get everything installed. Thanks Bob!

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats! :cool: You won't be disappointed by Bob or his headers. :D

ok so im a little confused to wut ur sayin... if i was to change my cams i would have to change my tm headers???
i have the regular tm headers i think!!!!

tm headers = Torque Monster Headers. Aftermarket headers for the 5.0 V8

um ok im not stupid!!!!
i was wondering "I went with the larger collecter version of the TM headers for in the future when I want to put in a 347 or I change my cams." this is wut confused me????
do i need a larger collecter version if i wanted to change my cams

oopps, sorry. 5 hours of sleep last night has left me a little dumb.

haha i just want to know if i bought the wrong headers!!! cus i want to do a cam in the semi far future???

gluvsave35 said:
ok so im a little confused to wut ur sayin... if i was to change my cams i would have to change my tm headers???
i have the regular tm headers i think!!!!
Bob makes 2 versions of the TM headers. The standard version which is perfect for the basic 302 and good between I believe 200-400 HP "correct me if I'm wrong" or a larger version which is what you would want if you have or are planning on having 400 hp or more. I went with the larger because I do plan on in the future putting a 347 in mine and achieving 400+ HP. No you don't have to change your headers if you want to put cams in but if your wanting 400+ hp in the future then you will want the larger version of the headers. Call and talk to Bob and he will know what I'm talking about, very nice guy!

ok thanks yea he is a real nice guy ive talked with him b4
thanks again!

I have a cam with my 1st production headers... works awesome. :D Nothing to worry about. It would take a lot of mods before your TMH are the things holding you back. :p

We'll let Robert chime in here, but th elarger collector version is likely a new addition to the TM header line.
He seems to always be improving and modifying his design to fit the customers needs.

My 96 sploder has the non egr style earlier version of the TM headers , with the E cam and the intake spacer. I Run the primary cats with no secondary directly into a dual inlet sinlge outlet muffler, 2.5" pipe out from there.

You will be happy, dont worry. The 5.0L in my Explorer motivates that truck ALOT better then the factory setup, itsfun to drive and even with AWD t case and 33" tires it scoots

Jamie.. you're not having any idling issues?

Mine are the large collector, external egr headers with a custom Edelbrock head flange. ha ha ha

Robert will go the extra mile, drove to Edelbrock to port match for me

What a guy

gluvsave35 said:
haha i just want to know if i bought the wrong headers!!! cus i want to do a cam in the semi far future???

Don't worry, you didn't buy the wrong headers for your application. I recommend the standard exit, which is exactly the same exit size as the stock manifolds, for applications up to 325-330 hp and about the same in torque in the 1,500 - 5,500 rpm range. It's the better breathing (1 tube per port/cylinder) and added technologies that make it all work.

Remember, these engines were only rated 210 hp w/GT40 heads and 215 hp with GT40-P heads, respectively. You've got a little ways to go to squeeze an extra 115-120 hp out of these engines to out-grow you initial set of headers.

The standard Torque Monster Headers were designed to do a lot of things including more hp, more torque, increase gas mileage and pass emissions in California and three other states which have adapted the California standards.

I don't recommend the larger exit Headers unless you can put at least 280-300 hp to the wheels (330-350 hp at the crank), between 1,800 - 5,800 rpm.

To get more of an explanation on Torque Monster Headers, see the thread titled ..., Purchasing Guide:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147452

Bob Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers

My Powerdyne blown Mountaineer has the bigger flavor of TMH....their great!

Section I did have some ticking and some idling issues, it was pretty rough at times and would even die on me at a light, or when I turned on the AC at a light, etc.

But then I shimmed the roller rockers and re-torqued them down after 500 miles and again recently after 1500, I was not using the wrench properly I would come to find out (close but no cigar) and they did require the shims, at least 2 of them on the D side.

Once that was all buttoned up I got some major power back, the idle smoothed out alot, but it would still have that slight stumble, especially at the first stop sign on my way to work in the AM after sitting all night.
But it would not die and it was no where near what it was before.

Then I replaced the fuel pump and OEM spark plug wires with Taylors.
No idle issue anymore! I mean its not a stock idle, but who wants that?
Shes rev happy and jumps right off the line.

Also when I did the valve train the last time I found I had ripped my upper intake gasket just a hair in the back (remember spacer = two gaskets) and I had a small leak in my intake tube at the crankcase vent.....so I am sure those didnt help..

If it happened again I was going to order the pushrods and lifters, but man those little shims sure made a large difference when I torqued the pedestals down to 20 ft lbs this time around. Now to do this mod to the Bronco II 

Back