Going lower... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going lower...

So ive been thinking of dropping my truck. Right now its 9"s of lift with 37"s. Im thinking of maybe 2"s or so of drop and some nice looking 20"s, not some gaudy lookin 20"s, something clean and simple. I was also thinking of dropping it to like 5"s of lift and 33"s on 20"s but dont think i could afford that. If i drop down to 20"s i will need to get a new rear end. Since m current one is geared to 4.88s. I figured i could sell my current one to some jeeper, and get one from a junkyard, if i do get a junkyard one should i get one with 4.10s? to kinda help with the added weight of the 20"s? Or am i just stupid for wanting to drop a truck from 37"s to rims? I love being the biggest explorer in my city, and i love being high up, but sometimes its annoying to have to hop up into my truck. But please give me yalls opion.

Thanks

-Caleb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

leave it lifted !!! if you want something low with big rims, get a car :p

inh said:
leave it lifted !!! if you want something low with big rims, get a car :p

thats also been a thought, selling my truck to get a car. But i dont think i can sell my truck for a decent enough price to get myself a decent car. if i get a car, its going to stay stock, besides some tunes..

everyday i wish i would have left my explorer stock, im at the point now where i dont care if i have something modified, i just want something nice and reliable, which my explorer is both, but its a pain sometmes, my g.f is tired of jumping up in it everyday, and so am i sorta, plus if i got a car that got better than 13 mpg it would be nice. i dont know what im going to do... ive just had lots of thoughts running through my head.

Don't go any lower. End of discussion. :D

bmxking5 said:
Don't go any lower. End of discussion. :D

than i either have to get a step ladder and carry around all the time :rolleyes: or some of those pimp steps that swing down when you open the door, but i aint paying the amount of money they want for those...

You had a Jeep on 38s. Jeeps are harder to get into than an Explorer with less lift and smaller tires!

bmxking5 said:
You had a Jeep on 38s. Jeeps are harder to get into than an Explorer with less lift and smaller tires!

im not the one having a problem getting into it :D im 6ft, no prob for me, its my 5'3" g/f that hates having to jump, plus i dont know, i like to change stuff around you know, me being on some rims might be nicer, but than again, i cant go over curbs or take the "back" roads to places if i went rims and low pros.

XplorerKid said:
than i either have to get a step ladder and carry around all the time :rolleyes: or some of those pimp steps that swing down when you open the door, but i aint paying the amount of money they want for those...

those will certainly be less expensive than a new rear end and a set of 20s with tires.

Hartman said:
those will certainly be less expensive than a new rear end and a set of 20s with tires.

i can offset the cost of the new rearend and 20"s by selling my current rear end, my spindles, and my wheels/tires

those steps cost like 200$(x4) a piece or you can get the ones that are one long set, that goes for like 1500$ a pair

i dont know what im going to do yet, just been thinking bout it alot... maybe we should just start taking her car everywhere and i wouldnt have this problem :D

Build some slider/step bars.

i like lowered explorer, but then again 33" tires with a 20" wheel would be pretty awesome

Go single, ALOT cheaper!!! :p

only way i will do 20"s is lowering, ide have to sell my tires/wheels + lift to pay for the rims, lowering is free almost free besides the rear.

byran steps wouldnt really help i dont think, still have to step a high was up, i dont know what im going to do yet.

Chris- yea single was alot cheaper, but i must say im the happiest ive ever been with her around so i dont plan to get rid of her.

20's on a lifted truck look great. u see it more and more and i love the look. drop it 2" and put 35's and 20's. that'll bring u down 3" total (2" drop and 1" from tires) and u could keep the 4.88's. sell the wheels and tires u have now and buy your new stuff.

XplorerKid said:
everyday i wish i would have left my explorer stock...

how about i just trade ya?? :p mine's a stock 99 explorer, same color even!

Lower it and put 35's on it. There are some very decent treads with 20' wheels now adays....go for a black rim with brushed alluminum lip....very cool imo.

how bout 31"s on 15"s, thats what im rolling now.... :(

oh well this trucks getting traded in, in a month or so...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back