• Register Today It's free!

Gear Choice For This Application?

MEANEXPLODER

Reaction score
City, State
HADDAM, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Building my second explorer and had a few questions on what ratio I should use. Its a 91 XLT ,I have a 4.0 with an auto. Its a d44hp w/ a 8.8 in the rear. I am planning for mostly severe offroad duty but would also like to drive it on the highway for short amounts of time in between trails and to my shop. 4.88 OR 5.13? IM RUNNING 37'' TIRES. THANKS!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5.13's It'll give you omph on the trail and on the street.

5.13's

That's what i'm going to be running in mine with 35" tires :)

well personally i cant say much about 5.13 but i do have 4.88 and i love it with 36's. 4low is great

definitely 5.13's if not 5.38's... my tires measure out to 37.1" tall and i wish i'd have gone with 5.38's over the 5.13's (i will when money permits, thats how under powered i feel my truck is). i can feel it trying to simply drive onto a curb. it needs something more. and it could use that little bit of extra power... and i'm sure it would help my horrible intown gas mileage.

I agree about the 5.38s with that tall a tire.

5.13 or 5.38, Im going with 5.13 and Im getting 36x13.5 IROKS

5.13's I don't think a 5.38 is available for the 44 HP

What would his rpms be at with 37 and 5.13's at say 70 mph?

thanks for the response

thats kinda what i figured, just wanna see what the majority thought on this matter---thanks a bunch! at 70 ill probably be at 3200rpm u think?

i'm turning around 2800 rpms at 70mph with 5.13's and a 37" tire but i do have a manual so yours will probably be around 3000 rpms. and yes they do have 5.38's for the 44 hp but thats as low as they go. i still say 5.38's are the way to go. 5.13's go good with a 35" tire (trust me its a really nice combo) but not 5.13's and a 37" tire...

Back