truck won't move, please help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

truck won't move, please help

I can't figure out what could have gone wrong in the trans to make it do what its doing...

As for the price.. R&R of an a4ld + rebuild can be over $2k

Our first rebuild cost $1700
2nd cost $2200 (broke lots of hard parts.. only had 2nd gear by the time I got to the trans shop)
3rd was $1700 (with a decent discount on labor since I helped r&r the trans)

Then we went to an 700r4.. That cost about $2500ish total (total cost of parts and misc things)..

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when my a4ld *****, im goin with a 700r4 also, built ford tuff with chevy stuff

biggs92EB said:
1500-1700 is way to much. last time i replaced my tranny, it was 900 w/ a 3 year 55K warranty. I also had them install it, change the tranny cooler and lines for a totatl of 1280$ And im in Expensive ass cali

Did you buy the tranny separate, then have a shop install it, or did you do it all through the shop?

Also was it the A4LD tranny? I suspected that sounded high. My mother told me she drove past and the trucks in the same spot as it was in where she left it.

So basically they probably didn't even test anything

when my first trans (A4ld) ****, i broke all of the hard parts, planetary gear included. so i could not be rebuilt, anyhow where i bought my trans, (transmatic in Chico CA) you bring in your core, they have rebuilt trannys on site ready to go, I have the reciept, after tax 1006.58$ for the trans in hand. the rest of the money i paid was to have the new one installed and a new cooler and lines. i brought them my explorer without a tranny in it.

I have a 98 Ford Ranger doing the exact same thing. I am wondering if you got it fixed if you learned anything more about the problem?

Back