Emergency Brake Pads-'02 XLT - Why do they wear? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emergency Brake Pads-'02 XLT - Why do they wear?

daveleeander

Reaction score
City, State
Marietta, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
I just had a brake job, with replacement of e-brake pads also, as my XLT has 106,000 miles on it. The brake pads still had material, but the e-brake pads were gone, just rusted backing plates. The pads that were there, were worn.
Now I haven'[t used my e-brake since 60,000 miles, since one of the ones in the right rear fell off the backing plate. I just had the pad removed , the wheel put back on, and went on.
My question is how or why do these pads wear if the brake is not used :(
Could they have been adjusted too tight from the get go? Never smell anything like you would think you would with hot pads.
Has anyone else had the e-brake pads wear enough to warrant replacement?

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes they wear out just during normal driving, if they are adjusted too tight then they will drag a bit.
Also non use of the e brake shoes will cause issues, you should make a point to press that sucker down tight and release the brake like once a month or so, this keeps everything moving around back there and the chances of them wearing out will lessen.

It really doesnt help if you have your truck in 4xlow range in Moab for 8 miles of uphill trail and rocks, smell something burning? THEN notice the e brake is pressed in. The shoes were 1 month old at that point, I am now on my third set in 6 years AND I fixed my BRAKE light on the dash :)

Apparantly the runout from the axles causes the pads to wear while the axle is turning.

Thanks for the replys. It seems to me that maybe Ford did not have a better idea on these e-brakes. ;)

Regards,

Dave

I haven't had my rear pads off yet, but I thought the e-brakes just used the regular rear pads. Right?

I haven't had my rear pads off yet, but I thought the e-brakes just used the regular rear pads. Right?

Wrong, they are "drum" type. The rear rotors are disk/drum.

my 04 has 4 wheel discs?

The disc rotor has a small drum in the "hat" for the parking brake shoes.

I use mine every time before I throw my truck into park. Seems like the oem ones were crappy. they were all separated from the backing plate. No wonder i had that scrapping sound.

Replace all your hardware if your gonna do your e-brakes. Rockauto has it for cheap. The new retaining clips are better than stock and will keep the brake shoes against the housing properly. Under spring tension the stock clips allowed the shoes to tilt over and rub against the brake drum.

damn clicking sound

Hey everyone,

I have that damn clicking sound that might be the e-brakes.
It clicks when i let the car roll and going slow!
I went to strauss here in nyc and they told me to go to the dealer.
I've been to several places telling them about the sound and no one seems to know what im talking about!.

I really dont feel like going to the dealer because they are rip offs!!!

Can anyone here give me a suggestion?
I asked at the auto part place i go to, how much does the e-brakes cost and they told me $58.

Help me please!!

I had to pay $54 for my ebrakes from PepBoys. Yet my ceramic ProStop pads were $66. I thought they were gonna be super cheap too.

Have you jacked up the truck and spun each wheel by hand to see if you hear the click?

I just replaced my ebrakes and its hardware.

how much did you pay roughly?

or did you do it yourself?

no i haven't, but the mechanic at strauss confirmed that it is the e-brakes in the back

I did it myself.

Ebrakes were $54, hardware (springs, retainers, adjuster) I think was like $14 per side from Rockauto.
its a pain, but I think the dealer wanted some crazy price for the job.

I did it myself.

Ebrakes were $54, hardware (springs, retainers, adjuster) I think was like $14 per side from Rockauto.
its a pain, but I think the dealer wanted some crazy price for the job.

can you pm me......

How much should a job like this run about?
I called a place and they asked $150 to install the brakes

Looking at the hardware at rockauto there are 2 types, 184x30 and 184x32

Which one do I order?

For my 02 I ordered these RAYBESTOS Part # H7315 More Info
Each side parking assembly has 2 prings, one upper and one lower spring.
getimage.php

those are 184x32... ordered them and I'll post on here when they are installed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back