rear sway, side shock support with lift? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear sway, side shock support with lift?

green machine

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
When installing my addaleaf last night I noticied I could hold the frame up and let the axle down with out any support(obvously one tire is not on) and the axle wouldn't fall to the ground. Now I noticed I have a factory traction bar, a rear sway bar, and besides the normal shocks, there are two small shocks attached to the rear diffy.

My question is: Are the little shocks that reduce hop and what not, holding it up and not allowing the lift? I didn't even get any lift from the addaleaf! Do I need to dismount these items? What has everyone else done? It is the V8.

To put my shackles on, I have to take off the tow package!! Aaarrgh! Is everyone else leaving the rear the same, just new shocks and installing the addaleaf and shackles?

I really need to know! working on it again today.

1 more thing

The little shocks are side ways, not in the opposite direction as the other shocks. They go from the frame to the diffy. Dang, I had no idea these things where on there!!

From what i was told, the shocks (should be kinda diagnolly) are there for vibration at high speeds. The older explorers suffered from some type of shimmying on the highway and ford corrected that in the 95+. As for the lift, I did the shackles first and got a slight lift. Then I did the add-a-leafs and got a little more lift. It is higher than stock now. Maybe about 2.5 inches in the rear

Correct. The side shocks were one mod Ford made while trying to cure the 65mph Explorer shake. And yes it is limiting your flex. New models with IFS don't experience the shake anyway. Several of us have permanently removed them. I've never noticed a difference without it. Do that and disconnect your swaybar and your axle will gain several inches of flex.

I am confused about your tow package comment. The tow package consists of a light connection, thicker bumper frame, and limited slip diffy. None of those have any relation to the shackles. You should never have to change anything to get the shackles on; it is a very simple bolt on install.

Back