JoshC's SAS #2 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JoshC's SAS #2

I guess i'll follow the trend like so many others on here. D44, 9" full width. I picked these axles up late last year or early this year i don't remember and they've been in the garage taking up space. I've been gathering parts for a little while too.

So far i've got:
-Yukon 5.13's
-Quick Loc locker for the D44
-Full steel spool for the 9"
-Radius arms drilled and tapped to fit the lower ranger coil bucket so i can keep my existing coils
-New ubolts for the leafs

I think that's about all i've got. The 9" third member is done, we regearded it a couple of weeks ago. We started on the 44 and quickly noticed that the idiot at the local off road shop, which is no longer in business, sold me a low pinion gear set :mad: So now i'm stuck with this gear i can't even use :fire:

Here's what i got done last night and today

P1010791.jpg

I'm head up to the shop tonight to swap my tires over to my new rims. I think i may pick up a set of new radius arms, maybe something like the james duff arms like these

5350.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's bad when the length of your links are limiting your flex!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

What about using the links you already have and fabbing mounts on the FW axle? Jefe has the same arms/links and has mad flex!
I agree with FROADER.

I could but man mine are so freakin short, like 28" or something.
Why dont u lengthen your arms? Seems like it would be pretty basic.

I could slug them and extend them, but it would be just as easy to make new ones.

Josh nice build man! I just saw your using a quick lok in the dana 40.. After my experience in moab i wouldnt recommend using it. I had maybe 3 miles on mine before it crapped. Quick Lok+35's=Quick POS...

Well that sucks. I guess i could just use it for the time being until i get it running again. Looks just like a lock rite which i've ran in that D30 for years now with no problem.

Yeah i was pretty dissapointed with it.. Just makes a bunch on nose.. It should work for a while, Moab may have killed mine faster due to the rocks. Ill try and find the picture of where it failed.

Yeah i was pretty dissapointed with it.. Just makes a bunch on nose.. It should work for a while, Moab may have killed mine faster due to the rocks. Ill try and find the picture of where it failed.

I ran one in the 44 on my sploder for a couple years and I do believe whoever owns it now that its still in there and working even with chromo shafts. I just don't like it cause its not selectable. Makes tight turns hard.

Hmm im starting to think i got a dud. lol

Hmm im starting to think i got a dud. lol

Maybe maybe not. I have heard other people ***** about them too. They are no Detroit. Maybe I got lucky? What axle was yours in? I have heard more complaints from Jeepers so maybe the 30s and 35s versions aren't as good. I don't know. Just wanted to state it worked for me. I was told the same thing after I installed it and said oh well I will run it till it gives. I lost a t-case, many front shafts, but never the locker.

Taxx good to hear from you again, been a while. I'm going to run it till it gives out, it's already installed.

Felix used to have one in his D44 and had the same problems with the clicking noise. Froader has since bought his rig and put in a tru-trac now.

I thought i'd try out an Aussie Locker in my D44 which looks much like if not exactly like the other lunchbox lockers. I've been on 2 runs and so for it's been flawless, turning with a locker was a little wierd but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Best $230 i've ever spent and they claim no tire size limit...we'll see.

Anyways back to the locker issue, I don't know about the other lunchbox lockers but the instructions witht the Aussie locker give you 2 tolerances to check, they say if either of these are not within spec then the case or thrust washers are likely worn and the locker will not funtion properly. I'd check the thrust washers to make sure they aren't warped by visually checking them on a flat surface.

If there are no tolerances given i'd call the mfg. and see if it necessary to be checked and remedied.

Yeah i put it in and it all speced out good. I ran a lock rite in that D30 for a while and snaped 2 joints on 35's. I agree, best spent money IMO.

I've been trying to come up with an idea but i'm not really sure. If i go with the link setup in the pics on the last page, what do i do for coil spring seats?

ballistic Fabrication has some nice coil seats. I have them to put on my 44 they cost me like 20 dollar for the set.

on a side note, did the guy who did your original sas cut up the stock upper cherokee arms and weld them to tube?

Ive ordered from Ballistic before .. good service.

Well i went out in the shop tonigh in hopes of doing some work. All i got done was some measuring. I'm going to have to come up with something different for a coil seat for the axle because where the coils need to seat is right in the way of the C's. I'm not 100% sure what i'm going to do but i'm open to ideas. One i was thinking of is kind of like the D30. It's got a plate about 6 inches x 3 inches welded on top the axle. One the front side is the coil seat and the back side is the shock mount and on the bottom of the back side is part of the control arm mount. So any ideas?

Back