baileys on the oil fill cap..what's causing it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

baileys on the oil fill cap..what's causing it?

natedogco2007

Reaction score
City, State
Bennettsville S.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 V8 awd explorer XLT
hey all.... i know that this is a bad thing to see but i am not too sure that it is caused by something internal. ok so i know i have a radiator leak on the pass side near the oil fill tube and loses coolant more so when it's cold outside. i just changed the oil no more than 3 days ago and saw no indication of water in the oil or any problems with the oil. the truck is still running fine, idling fine, not making any white smoke, no sweet smelling exhaust, and no indication of water on the dipstick. the only place that moisture seems to be present is on the bottom of the fill cap. my main question is.... can a leaking radiator cause enough condensation on the inside of the fill tube and fill cap? or do i possibly have a leak in the head gasket/ intake? i will try to do a compression test tom to see about the head gasket, but the lack of water in the crackcase leads me to believe it may be on that side. it is a 5.0 explorer with 200,000 miles ( mostly highway miles). is a lil white residue on the fill tube normal in the winter? never really paid any attention to it before. would mainly like some input of the 5.0 and their rate of problems. thanks to all in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much is a little? If it's just a thin film it's probably caused by the temp changes. How do the plugs look?

I have to agree with you--
If you truly had a milkshake--it would be on the dipstick also.

Must be spraying that area at load??? I have seen small leaks ( at idle) which turn "aerosol " when engine is revved.

is it more likely that the leak is in the intake or in the head gasket? i am really thinking that it is just from the temp change. it rained here and got cold like within a day of being 70 then like 36. (dang on tropical storm!) drove it 50 miles today and looked under the cap and nothing... nada.i have no clue.

a temp change that big would def do it

new dodges have a big problem with that as well. they tend to get alot of whitew foamy crap under the cap. i dont know what causes it but it sells lots of engine flushes

Your engine is spewing Bailey's??? Are you Irish??? :D

You best start bottling that stuff! ;)

Good luck with the engine problems.

Mine's alwas been like that and never leaked a drop of coolant. If you start it up, pull it in the garage, and shut it down, the moisture in teh warm exhaust gasses can be enough to cause the oil mist to condense on the cold cap... nothing to worry about.

-Joe

Back