Power Steering Fluid Recommended and Best Flush Methods | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Fluid Recommended and Best Flush Methods

rbejexp

Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Hi all. First post to this forum, but definitely a regular reader of several posts. First of all thanks to the many of posts that have aided me in my repair adventures with my Explorer, 98 XLT 6V 4.0L SOHC.

I am currently going through some tune-ups and repairs. I want to flush my power steering fluid in an attempt to eliminate a humming noise as I turn, this is before I go to potentially repairing the pump or R&P. I've read other posts regarding changing to a synthetic but I was told I should check with Ford before making the change. Ford Service has not been helpful, but I definitely want to flush (68K and still on original fluid). Any advice on which way to go and any bad things that could come by changing to synthetic?

Also any easy way of flushing the power steering, other than the turkey baster method. I would like to get all the fluid completely out. Any pictures would be helpfull.

Thanks for your help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you are willing to pay for it alot of lube shops have a power steering fluid flush machine that takes like 10 mins

If its any help, The Mobil 1 ATF says its recommended whereever regular ATF is used in power steering units. Someone else on the forum mentioned adding a couple ounces of Lubegard RED to the fluid that will help quiet it down. Keep in mind that most of these PS units are somewhat noisy and theres not much you can do about it.

I've been running full synthetic for 2 years now with only improved preformance (LESS noise mainly) I switched due to stiffness from the cold weather.

There is a cooler just under your radiator mounted to the rack. There are two hoses that are clamped to the cooler. You can disconnect both hoses and that will drain the majority of the fluid. Then jack up the front wheels, leave the engine off, but turn the key on and turn it lock to lock a few times. That will get most of the fluid out of the rack and pump.

Reconnect the hoses, fill the tank on the pump with fluid, turn the wheels with the engine running and the cap off, add fluid as necessary.

Thanks Mountaineergree for the flushing instructions! That is exactly what I needed to know.

I was talking to a service mechanic (on medical leave) that I happened to run into and he mentioned that Ford had a service or technical bulletin out, addressing this noise issue, that mentioned that a replacement of the high pressure line from the power steering pump was a resolution for the noise most seem to hear...Any truth to this? He said that a softer hose would eliminate the resonating sound. Seems possible, but would like the forum's input...thanks a bunch.:)

Bump...any comments to the technical bulletin on the changing of the high presure line to resolve the grunting noise in the power steering? Has anyone had this done and did it help?....Thanks!!!

thats odd the high pressure line is a just a line not sure how it is related to the ford PS whine, I suggest just doing the flush and fill like mentioned above, new fluid will help a great deal. PS gets the same ATF thats in your trans (mercon) synthetic works great

Back