91 ford ranger differential gears | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 ford ranger differential gears

J4Y

Reaction score
I own a 91 ford ranger XLT that has bds suspension and 33x15x12.5's and i was wondering what gear ratio I should have? How much it costs? and could it be a do it yourself thing?

you can do it yourself although I've heard it's VERY hard to get it just right. you will either have a high pitch whining coming from the rear or it'll just break on you. I opted not to replace my gears and just swap out my entire rearend.

in order to find out what gear ratio you have, look on the tag on the pumpkin, or you can possibly look at the sticker inside the door and find the axle code, then look it up online.

It is typical to run 4.56 gears with 33" tires. The cost to replace by a quality shop for 4WD should run between $1,200 and $2,000, depending on how much is done and who is doing it. I had all the bearings replaced when I changed gears.

If you have to ask if it is a do it yourself thing, then it is probably not. It requires some special tools and knowledge to set up correctly. If it is off just a little bit, they will not last very long.

Back