034x4's D44 SAS thread... | Page 39 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

034x4's D44 SAS thread...

I think this is my first post here, but i've used this board for alot of research on explorer and ranger SAS. So i finally decided i should post my project and it's progress so far.

The truck originally is a 2003 edge 4x4. 37,000 miles with 4.10's/LS.
I had 3" body lift, fiberglass front fenders and cut rear fenders to have plenty of clearance for 35x12.50 BFG mudders. Made a trip down to savannah and on the way home my passenger hub bearing pretty much exploded. Taking with it, the pass knuckle, caliper, rotor, bent inner tie-rod, ground flat outter tie-rod. I already had the D44 in preperation for the SAS but with this, i decided to go ahead and start on it.

This is the ranger, in the beginning.

7cbc01ed.jpg

After the bearing failure, at 70mph on I-75 north...

2a08b95d.jpg

33975f5e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you ever stop to think that 3 years ago, this was a brand new truck? are you still making car payments on this? i don't think you'd ever have to worry about it being reposesed if you ran into a financial catastrophe because the repo man would never recognize your truck as an 03 ranger.

oh yeah, and the paint job makes it look like a military vehicle now. i kind of like it.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Lol ya, I have about 6 more months of payments.

The funny part is, when I was going through the lemon vehicle process (it's on the 5th alternator right now....) they didn't buy the truck back, but they gave me a free extended warranty until 75,000 miles or 2008. It's only got 45,000 on it now.

i could only imagine the look on the mechanics face if you had to (hopefully you never will) bring your truck in for something.

do you still have your IFS stuff? :) sorry this is without bgoing back to look

I had all of the IFS parts that were still good for sale for about 6 months. The ONLY thing that was sold was a cv axle. No body wanted anything else, so I threw it away.

Actually, I still have my front diff with 4.10's and the driveshaft still hooked up to it if anyone wants it.

dayum that sizzucks :) apparently the later model Rangers have 12" brake rotors, larger then the standard gen II ex......

how much for the front diffy?

410Fortune said:
dayum that sizzucks :) apparently the later model Rangers have 12" brake rotors, larger then the standard gen II ex......

Really? That's interesting. However I would guess 16" rim are the smalest you could run. 15"s probally will not fit.

410Fortune said:

how much for the front diffy?

whats wrong with bigger rotors?

yes the sport trac I believe was the first to ahve 12" rotors, but I found out yest (I am getting the parts for my truck) that a 2004 Ranger edge also had the larger brakes. :)

Stic-o said:
Really? That's interesting. However I would guess 16" rim are the smalest you could run. 15"s probally will not fit.
You can still fit 15's. Johnstone has 15x10's on his Sport trac and ive seen an Edge at work with 15x8's on it.

My 14b's rotors are over 12" and I can still fit 15" over it.

what is 14b's?

sweet truck i must say. What size tires you running now? Also where in the heck do you find the olive drab paint in a can? i can find gallons of it or have custom cans made. at 12-14 bucks a can that seems a little high.

38x12.50 TSL's. I ran 15x8's on my stock suspension when I still had it.

It's Krylon. Ultra flat Camo Olive. Wally world has it for 2.90~ a can. Took 5.5 cans.

034x4 said:
38x12.50 TSL's. I ran 15x8's on my stock suspension when I still had it.

It's Krylon. Ultra flat Camo Olive. Wally world has it for 2.90~ a can. Took 5.5 cans.

ive looked at wally worl and no luck. was it in the paint and body section or in the hiuse paint section? I'll have to try the new wall mart that is opening soon. maybe they will have it. thanks.

any updates ??

oh do you still have those waggys you used to mock everything up ?? and how much did it cost at mild 2 wild to tap your box for hydra ??

Back