Complete Cold Air Intake Building Instructions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Complete Cold Air Intake Building Instructions

Arthur

Reaction score
City, State
Houston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie
Parts

Hardware Store
3" pvc pipe- $7
3" pvc 45 degree elbow- $3.50
3" pvc 90 degree elbow- $3.50
3" rubber flexible coupler- $4.00

Autoparts Store
Highflow Cone Filter- $15+
Filter to MAF adapter- $8
Breather Filter- $5
3" into 2.5" flexible coupler- $5

Total= $51

Instructions
1.) Cut 3" pvc pipe into an 8.5" long piece and a 5" long piece (I used a hacksaw)
2.) If you want to paint the piping do so at this point.
3.) When paint is dry attach the 8.5" piece to with the 90 degree elbow piece on one end and the 45 degree piece on the other.
4.) Attach the 5" pvc piece to the other side of the 45 degree elbow.
5.) Clamp the 3" flexible coupler to the 5" pipe's other side
6.) Clamp the 3" into 2.5" flexible coupler onto the 90 degree elbow.
7.) Remove the MAF
8.) Mark and holes on the filter to MAF adapter, and attach it to the MAF with nuts and bolts.
9.) Clamp on the highflow filter
10.) Attach other end of the MAF to the 3" flexible coupler.
11.) Remove stock air tube and air box
12.) Attach the intake to the throttle body with the 3" into 2.5" flexible coupler... dont forget to plug in the MAF
13.) Cut the hose that runs from the oil cap and attach the breather filter to it.

Using a 5.0 mustang MAF will help since the 4.0 MAF is extremely restrictive, but it is hard to find a cheap one. If you call around you could probably pick one up from a junkyard for a little over $20. I'm still looking for one.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure that your piping clears the alternator pulley!

dsc00109zu2.jpg

dsc00111vl9.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oil breather filter

dsc00119kv3.jpg

is that a stock hood? body lift or no?

quick question, will a 5.0 MAF work with a stock 96' 4.0 OHV?

Im just curious if the plug will fit?

quick question, will a 5.0 MAF work with a stock 96' 4.0 OHV?

Im just curious if the plug will fit?

Im not sure yet because I haven't found one yet... but when i find one I'll let you know.

is that a stock hood? body lift or no?

Its a stock hood... I just took off the hood lining so it would fit. I am planing on getting the hood dynamat to replace the factory lining

did u have to cut some inches off of the pvc pipe

send this to rick for article submission for elite privlages, it looks like a good guide.

what did you do with the two little tubes that come off the top of the OEM air box?

send this to rick for article submission for elite privlages, it looks like a good guide.

I did this guide for the people of this forum, not for elite privileges... if they want to give me elite membership then thats fine... but that was not my goal in writing this

what did you do with the two little tubes that come off the top of the OEM air box?

Those tubes on the OEM air box attach to a little metal piece that you can take out from inside the air box. When I find a 5.0 mustang maf i am going to drill holes and attach it to the piping... but until then they can just breath unfiltered air.

You did a great job, that deserves a little something.

I am just going to go ahead and ask the stupid questions since no one else will. What and How will this actually help out my car. I mean is it just better for the Ex., will it get better gas mileage, stronger? And then an even stupider question. What does MAF stand for?

More air, smoother flow = better gas mileage, more hp. We are talking maybe 5-10 hp increase and prolly hardly noticeable increase in gas mileage. Also should sound louder under moderate to full throttle.

MAF - Mass Air Flow

My question:
What size adapter for the MAF to filter?

man i think you can buy a real one off ebay for like 60 dollars these days....

the pvc joints can cause air turbulance if the attachments are not even/smooth on the inside. This would defeat better air flow, leaving the tube disconnected from your intake is letting dirt into your crankcase, also the cheap filter from the auto store isn't much better than the stock filter with some holes drilled in the bottom of the box. Actually, with those generic filters, who knows... the air flow could be less than stock.

One thing is FOR SURE.... it will be louder :D

man i think you can buy a real one off ebay for like 60 dollars these days....

the pvc joints can cause air turbulance if the attachments are not even/smooth on the inside. This would defeat better air flow, leaving the tube disconnected from your intake is letting dirt into your crankcase, also the cheap filter from the auto store isn't much better than the stock filter with some holes drilled in the bottom of the box. Actually, with those generic filters, who knows... the air flow could be less than stock.

One thing is FOR SURE.... it will be louder :D

No I can tell that there is a definitely a power increase... It does make the engine louder but it sounds cool. I haven't calculated the mileage increase yet, but Im sure there is one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back