Superlift VS. James Duff Radius Arms | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Superlift VS. James Duff Radius Arms

Swee294349

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Collins, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT 4x4
i'm looking to buy new extended radius arms and wondering which is the better bang for the buck. and if u happen to know the best places and prices that i can find to find a set of these.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have either brand, but from reading this board and elsewhere, I've seen nothing but praises for the Duff arms, and a few complaints for the superlift arms. I don't know if you can buy either brand by the piece, or if they atr only available in the complete kit.

I broke my first set of Superlift at the axel mounting tabs. I sent them in a got new ones under warranty, but it was a hassle tearing down the truck. If Superlift didn't replace the arms free I was going to get the Duff arms. I do believe there is a length difference, can't remember which one is longer. If you have deep pockets check out Autofab or Camberg, cool stuff!

I have the duff arms and they are tougher then rocks. They make the superlift one look like tin foil. I'm currently trying them out with the 5.5 superlift and I'll be experimention with custom bushings to see if I can get them to flex more then superlift. I had to make custom front shock mounts too. I'll keep everyone posted on how the set up works. I still have to do some serious 4x4ing to see for sure how good they will work. I'll be installing a lockrite soon so that will help also. As for the inital install they are the same lenght as the superlift ones and they mount in the same place. So the axle remains in the center of the wheel well. The superlift ones are evpensive Like 450 or more with everthing needed for installation. If you call for a price on the superlift arms that will be just for the arms and nothing else, you need to get a price for everything bushings etc. The duff arms are like 350 for everything and you will also nee to buy the new transmission crossmember. 50 bucks. Robbie J

How come you had to make custom shock mounts? I have the superlift kit and am going to buy duff arms for it before I install it, anything else I should know?

If you don't there is no way the front shock if mounted on the duff arm in the specified location will fit in the stock shock mounting hole. check out the pics

[Edited by RobbieJ on 02-14-2001 at 01:15 AM]

View

View

[Edited by RobbieJ on 02-14-2001 at 01:23 AM]

interesting.... I'm probably going to add the double shock mount from duff at the same time I install everything else. I've heard the shocks will rub on the sway bar with the double hoop, but I most likely will remove the sway bar with the double shocks. Did you have to do anything special when you put on the duff arms besides the shocks?

Also, I like the re-enforcement on the passenger side drop bracket, I assume you're going to do one for the infamously weak driver side drop bracket. How much did it cost to do, if you don't mind me asking?

I think you may be better off trying to get a custom double set up made due to the fact the front shock needs to be mounted about 3.5 or 4" out side of the frctory mounting hole. The double shock setup is designed for the rear front shock to be installed almost in the same place as the factory. This will not work. I'll try to get a better explanation and better pictures and measurements to help you. I'll also let you know how well my radius arm bushing idea works. As for the passanger side braket reinforcement I made it my self. I cut the old shock mounts off of the rear plates when I moved the springs to the top of the axle and then used one of the old front swaybar end links. I cut it in half and found a piece of pipe the fit right over it and then welded each end on to it. I'm also planning to do the same thing for the other side drop braket. I herd that if you weld to the brakets superlift won't warrienty them but I figured if they break I'll just make some new ones that won't or better yet toss the ttb and go solid. he he
Robbie J

Thanks, I'll be looking forward to getting a little more info on the shock placement. I like your idea with the old rear shock mounts and sway bar links........hmmmm...

Back