• Register Today It's free!

Stock or Aluminum???

Big Red

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4WD
Hey guys I am really sitting with a dilemma. I already own a '91 Ex. and I recently bought a '94 Ex. from a friend. I originally thought about keeping the '94 but later decided that I liked the '91 better and so now I am going to sell the '94. They both had different wheels on them and I am in a dilemma as to whether I should keep the ones I have or whether I should switch the wheels out and sell the '94 with what I have on my '91 right now. So basically I have the original stock rims for a first generation explorer on the '91 right now and they don't look too bad. However the '94 has some Aluminum wheels that look pretty good too. Now I want to be clear that I am not making this decision for appearance AT ALL!!! I only want to keep whatever would be the BETTER wheel. What will last longer? Which is stronger? Better for on/off road? Both sets of rims are pretty old and warn so don't think that they are shiny like these pics. (Sorry I don't have any pics so I pulled these off the internet) Both sets are pretty old, dirty, and not nearly as new and shiny, and that is why I want the BETTER not the better LOOKING wheels.

Thanks, Big Red

http://www.wheelcollision.com/wccpix/3008taneddiebauer.JPG

http://a8.cpimg.com/image/88/3E/30634888-c7b7-02000154-.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think they are both stock but if it was me i would weigh both sets and use the lighter ones because you will have more power to the ground.

Steel (stock) vs Alum. Wheels

Big Red,

Many hardcore offroaders prefer steel wheels for rough going. I have the opposite situation that you do: I have one EX with 2 sets of wheels / tires. Set 1 is the factory Aluminum wheels that came standard on my XLT. with BFG All Terrain 's that I use for street and decent trail running. Set 2 are steel "rock crawler" type wheels with BFG mud terrain tires. The reason: When hard core wheeling, and rock climbing, side loads and sudden impacts can break the beads, etc. on the brittle aluminum wheels, but steel will usually just bend, and can be field straightened with a small sledge hammer, and get you home! I have actually had this happen to my steel wheels. The rim bent when the trail gave way, and a rock bent the rim, causing air loss. A few well placed blows from a small sledge hammer, add some air, and we finished the run! :cool:

I don't plan on doing any "really" bad stuff. I probably wouldn't do any rock climbing stuff, but rather more just trails and mud! It's also a daily driver so I just want what will work best for just plain dirt roads to medium level trails. Thanks for the help.

bump

I have the 5-spoke directional style aluminum wheel (first pic) on my X, and they sure have held up well, off road and on. A few dings and scuffs and bunches of scratch marks and damage from careless people removing wheel weights and banging on new ones, but thats it. If you have a first gen Eddie Bauer which uses these wheels with the matching tan wheel trim in the wheel openings, which is what's shown in the pic, I'd say stick with that.

I know the wheel style in the second pic came on Explorers, but it still looks like a 2WD or Ranger wheel.

As for which is better...who knows? You could go for weight savings, but a lighter wheel usually isn't a stronger wheel, especially when it comes to cast aluminum. Maybe do a wheel check on both vehicles, pull off all the wheels and check for any damage or hairline cracks and just get a general idea of which set is in better shape. If you've owned your '91 since it was new, and never had any wheel problems, I'd say definitely keep the wheels that are on it, unless you like the other wheels better for looks and you're just looking for an excuse. :)

Back