• Register Today It's free!

One more gear question...

Alanslinky

Reaction score
City, State
Milford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
ex- 94 Eddie Bauer
I searched for this and couldn't find any information, so I thought I'd ask here. Is it possible to buy 2 new gear pumpkins for the front and back with a lower gear ratio for using while going off roading with bigger tires and then switch them back out to the original gearing for driving around on the street with smaller tires to save on gas mileage? sort of like a quick change sort of system. Has anyone else attempted this with their exploder?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an answer for you..in the front i guess it is but it wouldent be worth it b/c it would be a PITA!! the rear is a definate no way..unless you had a 9 inch but not worth the labor for a few hours in the woods. their is a product called a overdrive unit which goes between the t-case an the rear axle. this gives you the ability to have low geared axles but with the flip of a lever, its back to normal. for numerical example, with 5:13 gears in your axles, flip the overdrive levre and its like havin 3:73's

yea it is deff. not worth the trouble to change pumkins. just think, it will probably take a couple of hours to take the front off and then 2 more to put it back on (just because of all the stuff you have to take off first). and then you will have to buy new gear oil and axle seals every time you change out a pumkin, more is more money and time that is wasted. when gas is really not that bad now.
your talkin about maybe 5-10 bucks difference between, say if you had 32s with 4.10s (better for highway) or 4.56 (better for offroad).

hey mud bug would this overdirve unit be in addition to the stock one? who makes it?

:thumbsup: Mitch, its basicly like another transfercase that bolts to the back of the stock one but its for the rear wheels only.(i.e high and low) there are a few different types tho...an overdive and an underdrive also called a range box..most overdrive units are after the t-case underdrives are befor the t-case. for example, an ovedrive unit has high and low....LOW-1:1, HIGH-.067:1. an underdrive is the opposite but even lower...HIGH-1:1, LOW- 3.00:1.

http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/overdrive_conversions.htm

thats pretty cool stuff, i didnt even know something like that was out there

im workin on a dual trans setup with the A4ld and a muncie 4spd with a dana 300 t-case ..final drives gunna be like 350:1!!! if it works its gunna be insane on the rocks...what do you think?

wow 350:1 :thumbsup: thats goin to be nice, you might not even have to press on the gas to get up those rocks:D

how are you going to do dual trans? will they turn together? if you figure how to do it, you are going to have to do a write up with lotttts of pics:thumbsup:

i plan on using a coupler to connect the input/output shafts and make a tailshaft/bellhousing out of pipe and plate.. it will be like a a 4spd t-case but it will have a reverser range. it will also have 32 gears not counting the reverses!!!

Back