Strange sound - 2005 Exp

pcohenchicago

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Limited
Strange thing...
About 1-2 minutes after I start the truck in the mornings, I hear a short sound that sounds like air releasing from a can. It's coming from somewhere in the cabin or just under it. Anyone know what that is? It's not super loud, but if the radio is off, it's very obvious. It usually only happens after starting it after it's been off for a while. If the truck has been off for only a couple of hours, I don't hear it.

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i hear it to, but as soon as i turn it on and only usally in the mornings after its been sititn all night, i just passed it off as it being the vacuum lines to run the directional doors for the HVAC system

do you guys have the electronic climate control?

i have the manual knobs and i dont hear that sound unless i change settings

Yes, Automatic climate control. I usually leave it on all the time and allow it to adjust everything. I just adjust temperature as needed.

I think mine (with auto climate control) does that, but have not paid much attention to it. Will try to remember today to listen for it. It could be the system using vacuum to operate actuators after the enginer warms up a little. Just a guess.

Sounds similar -- my '05 XLT (purchased used @ 17K miles) made a "thunking" noise (but not like air escaping) when first starting: the service technician said that it was the air system, and to turn it off before starting. I did this and the noise hasn't been heard from since.

Strange thing...
About 1-2 minutes after I start the truck in the mornings, I hear a short sound that sounds like air releasing from a can. It's coming from somewhere in the cabin or just under it. Anyone know what that is? It's not super loud, but if the radio is off, it's very obvious. It usually only happens after starting it after it's been off for a while. If the truck has been off for only a couple of hours, I don't hear it.

thanks!

it is your automatic climate control. I have an 05 with it and it does it everytime i get in and out of my truck, it is pretty annoying, plus Ford service cannot fix it. They have replaced my climate control once and replaced some lines saying the were leaking, but it never fixed it, and I am tired of having to drop off my truck for something so minor.

Got that one, too. 2003 V6 Limited Centennial with auto CC. I leave my auto CC on all the time and set to above 70 degrees, and the vehicle makes the noise every morning just before the fans start blowing air (a few minutes after the truck's been running and heating up). In the past, my other auto CC vehicles would not blow air until the engine heated up to a certain point (when set to automatic control, at least) to avoid blowing cold air in the cabin. I think this is a normal noise/event and is nothing to worry about. As above, I think it sounds like the vac system releasing or gaining pressure to control fan output. Haven't paid attention the few times that I've left my CC controls on, but not on automatic (e.g, setting temp to 90 and fans on high for cold mornings... then the vents will start blowing air as soon as vehicle is started).

Back