• Register Today It's free!

4WD making a poping noise

H8IMPORTS

Reaction score
City, State
Fultondale
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4.0 4WD
I got a 1994 ford emplorer with a 2" suspension lift. It goes up hills and through mud great for what it is. When it is in 4wd high or low it has a poping sound coming from the middle of the explorer. I ask some friends who has had explorers and they said theres done it also. They said it was how the tranfer case releaves pressure? I don't think it is suppose to make that noise. This is the first 4wd I've owned. I've always been into buggy's. Please let me know what this poping is or what it could be.

Thanks
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first guess would be ujoints. We have three in the front (if I remember right) two by the tires and one inside the TTB (center of vehicle) you can see it if you crawl under.

Any more info or symptoms???

Sometimes the autohubs are bad and the noise will transfer, or the ra bushings.

sometimes it could also be the transfer case drive chain after a while it will stretch and slap around some if it starts sounding like a ratchet wrench its about to break

Thanks for the replys. I found my problem. The hub I just replaced went out again. It broke on me out in the woods Sat. night. When I'm going foward is makes a metal spining sound but in reverse it pull good. I guess I putting manual hubs on it know. Thanks again for the replys. I found out the hard way. LOL

Thanks
Chris

Back