I smell coolant!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I smell coolant!?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just something you can try. Mine did the same thing and turns out it was a small hose right behind the thermostat. It's really hard to see and much harder to replace. I had to take my intake off to replace it. If it leaks it usually ends up leaking onto the top of the engine under the upper intake. Hard to see the wet spot.

Another popular leak is the heater bypass valve. The hard part is it drips on top of the exhaust manifold, so you rarely see any coolant on the ground.

Can you see any coolant underneath the truck? Do you smell the coolant inside, or outside of the truck?

Well, I started up my truck after work to let it warm up and when I came back (5 min.) coolant was dripping out under the front passenger side. I tried to locate the leak, but was not able to. I turned off the ignition and snooped around more, and the leak had stopped. I opened up the radiator cap to see how much fluid was there and it seemed full. I then drove it home (10 miles) with the heat off, and when I got home it would barley drip. Could this be a heater core issue?

There is a small metal line that runs around the front passenger side of the engine. Under the throttle body it hooks up to a rubber hose. Check there. Also in front of that is the big hose that goes to the radiator. It is in 2 sections with a metal elbow. Check those 2 also. While you are there , check the neck on the thermostat. Sometimes that gasket will leak.

What you are describing is what I just went through, a leaking heater core. The best way to check if it is leaking is to remove the access panel covering the heater core on the passenger side. Or dry the car until warm then run the heater fan. If you start getting condensation on the inside of the windshield the heater core is leaking.:mad:

I also went through a similiar situation, but I had a leak from the small hose that connects the thermostat housing to the waterpump. Kinda of a pain to change, and I couldnt actually see it leaking, but it pooled a bit on top of the water pump itself then started leaking onto the ground...Basically, dont forget to check all of your hose / connections are good and tight.

I will not be able to look into it until Sunday (too busy with work!) But you have given me some good places to start. I will update once I find the source of the leak. Thanks.

The Autostores often have a pressurization kit that they loan out.

Some leaks are hard to track down, even with a cooling system pressure tester. Yesterday, I had a hissing sound without coolant coming out from the corner of the radiator underneath the part where the upper hose gets connected to. The sound changed when I squeezed the hose. When I poured water over that part of the radiator, I noticed bubbles on the seam where the metal meets the plastic. I thought that I could seal it with propoxy, but it didn't make a difference. I ordered a new radiator from WWW.Autocoolradiators.Com. They sent me a confirmation tracking # in an email, so I guess it should come in about a week.

Mine is still leaking off and on. I drove it around today and then looked under it and saw where coolant had dripped on the suspension. I let it idle with the heat on and off and it would not drip at all. What gives?

It may just leak when it's running some higher rpm's. For it to be on the suspension I would think it would be the heater hoses. Can you get a pressure tester from a local autoparts store? Most places will loan you one.

I found out that is was leaking on the radiator where the plastic side tank connects to the radiator. I was told that you cant fix it, so I had it replaced. All better now.

Back