• Register Today It's free!

sea foam my new friend

project92

Reaction score
City, State
missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
00E.B.,93 xlt 92 xlt
well folks I was getting tired of 13 mpg on my ex...
the motor I put in had 1XXXXX or 2XXXXXX its was a 91 model
had new plugs and thats it.... so friday I went and bought the $7.00 can of seafoam put it through the brake boster hose like the instruction said..... man the smoke it caused, actually killed the motor...
then I drove it home (30 min away) did it agian put new plug wires on saturday and first full tank ran through it it got 16 mpg this week I'm going to buy another can and add to the fuel tank to try clean the injectiors...

so far I'm a sea foam beliver :salute:

P.s. did it to my 00 sohc explorer it seems peppeir (my wife told me that I didn't tell her I put it in her truck) so there's no placebo affect...:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you possibly elaborate for us not-so-technical types? Seaform? Put it into what? Why smoke?

Seafoam is a Cleaner. You spray it or pour it depending on the one you buy into the Intake manifold ( in this case through the brake booster hose). Because it has oils and detergents in it, it causes a very smokey exhaust.
It's supposed to clean up the entire 'Top End'

I've never used it but many people give it the thumbs up.

Where do we buy this mystery Sea Foam? I have seen it mentioned here many times but can;t find it in a store.

I don't know if the whole chain does, but the Autozone's near me carry it. So does Pep Boys I think. It's in with the rest of the automotive cleaners. Kind of a plain bottle/can.

NAPA stores carry it too. I use the canister purge hose near the front of the engine to assure getting it into all 6 cylinders.

Bob

Can anyone post a picture of the hose which one would pour the seafoam into? Thanks.

SeaFoam

It can be purchased in just about any Auto Parts store from Advance to PepBoys. It is in a White metal can and as you can guess says "SEA FOAM" (mine is in blue lettering) acrost the front of the can. I have a buddy who swears by it, uses it in his vehicles, boat, and even mixed some in his ATV fuel.

I got a can at Napa, let my motor suck 1/2 through the brake booster vacuum line. Before this she would ping like and SOB. I did the Seafoam and I can go up hills in OD part throttle and hear no ping'n.

Amazing.

any pics of how to use it? is the top end the only thing it can clean?

i read that thing from the first post to the last post, and it locks like that everyone agreed that for the sohc the best place was to use was the iac line,or the line under the throtle body. But since the ohv engines dont have the iac is the bb line the best place? it seems that everyone still was up in the air as to the "best" place

I just picked some up today. I notice on the back it says you can add it to the gas tank, the crank case (where you put the engine oil) and a third location which I forget but assume it's where you are talking about.

I already put Wilson's oil stablizer when I did my oil change. My engine is a 2 year old Jasper reman. Probably don't need this in the crank shaft.

Should I put it in the gas tank? When I do should I drive around or can I just walk away?

Yeah... it's the gas tank, the crankcase, and the brake booster... when you put it in the gas tank it'll clean the fuel lines and injectors... When you put it in, just take it out for a hard drive for about 20 minutes, and expect a lot of smoke...

Now, there is a CAUTION: Seafoam cleans out carbon deposits in your engine... this is good UNLESS you have a poor headgasket... if the gasket is old or deteriorating and the only thing that's sealing it are the carbon deposits, you WILL BLOW YOUR HEADGASKET! Be warned of this... I've heard of people using this and expecting magic results and ending up with a shot engine...

I'm not saying this will happen, and as stated above people seem to have had no problems with their Xs, but it can happen. I haven't done it yet, but I have valve tick, so if an oil change doesn't help I'm going to Seafoam because I'd have to remove the heads to replace the valves anyways, so if I blow a gasket I can replace it at once.

Once again, for those too lazy to read the entire post:

CAUTION: You may blow your headgasket by doing this...

Just wanted to throw that note in there... Hope it helps...

Fil

just wanted to post that i have a SOHC and iput it trew the intake line like most people with SOHC did and i think i pour too much in at once and the engine was gonna die out so i had to rev it hard to keep it from dieing alot of smoke as expected so i keept pouring it in all was going fine then out of nowhere a big BANG and a muffle3r backfire and i run to turn off the engine then when i check my EGR sensor broke apart.. got a new one at pepboys for $63 installed it then the next day started her up and i wa ssrtill gething smoke keept rving it for like 7 mins the smoke cleared and my truck is running better then expected :p:

ohhh PS. yah its a 97 explorer but that shouldent make any diference i just noticed i was in the wrong year topic :p

So where is the brake line booster? Pic?

Back