• Register Today It's free!

lift questions

Lug/Nut

Reaction score
City, State
woodland, california
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 eddie bauer
i have a stock 91 explorer. i've tried searching around the sight and i have some questions. i would like a capable offroad rig that would handle good enough on the highway. i want about a 5 in lift with 33's.so far im leaning towads spring overand superlifts 5.5coils. that being said what else would i have to do to make this work. ( extended radius arms, steering setup etc.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in addition would i have to get new drivelines or axleshafts with this setup

if you order the 5.5 inch superlift kit it comes with everything but the extended radius arms.....You dont have to have them but some choose to get them as extra....That lift runs great on the road and off...

no driveshaft changes just put it on and go...

so i wouldnt have to legthen my drivelines? and can i just buy the superlift 5.5 coils or do i have to buy the whole setup?

I have been doing a lot of reading on this subject and hope to do something very similar. I will probably just use the drop brackets for the radius arms to get started and then later on, just weld on a longer piece with a heim joint or something. As for the driveline question, in reading up on the SOA, I have seen that a lot of people had a short driveline for the rear, but simply mounted the rear axle forward a little bit when they remounted the springs on the top of the axle and that compensated for the lift.

Actually, I read that up to a 6" lift you don't need to modify your drivetrain...

However, how much is this lift kit? Is it only a front, or is it a front and rear? From what I do know, if you want to offroad it, you'll need a minimum of: coils for the front, shocks front and rear, extended radius arms or radius arm drop brackets, longer brake lines, and I think one other drop bracket, but for the life of me I can't remember what. Also, you'll need a new alignment for sure, but I'm sure you expect that if you're getting new tires... But, that's ignoring the back, save for the shocks, so you would need to do an SOA or shackles/AAL... but as for actual driveline components, you should be fine...

Fil

Back