questions on what kinds of lockers people are using and what they think | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

questions on what kinds of lockers people are using and what they think

Reaction score
City, State
indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
I'm wanting to get a locker for the rear of my 92 x and not sure what works well and lasts a long time without problems

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

detriots are known for long lasting and drivability.
for an offroad rig, I have a spool in the rear. its the strongest option possible and never needs any maintinence.

well, I drive mine every day so it will have to be a streetable unit which leaves out a spool, and a lot of the limted slips with clutches seem to wear after many years of use so I'm just wondering how these lockrights and such really work in a daily driver and mud/ trail use mix

I cannot say enough about my ARB's
As long as you get the plumbing and wiring buttoned down they are flawless, on demand, lockers, very stout and reliable, but of course $$$

It wanted selectable for the snow, so my choices were limited. It is so nice being able to select front, rear, or both (if you wire it properly)

well, I drive mine every day so it will have to be a streetable unit which leaves out a spool, and a lot of the limted slips with clutches seem to wear after many years of use so I'm just wondering how these lockrights and such really work in a daily driver and mud/ trail use mix

Correct me if I am wrong but I always thought Lockrights were one of those lunchbox lockers, which are known for blowing up. If you want dependability buy a Detroit, atleast you will only have to put out the money once. I just got Ected's installed but they are so new to me that I can't give an honest opinion on them. The thing I like about the Ected's is that even if all the wiring goes to hell you still have limited slips.

Another option is a Detriot True-Trac. It is a gear driven limited slip so there are no clutches to wear out, you have better drivability and the True-Trac is around $200 than a Detroit locker.

Annddd....for another opinion. I've owned 3 different vehicles with Powertrax (both no-slip and Lock-Rites) in them, and installed them in quite a few others. I've had great success with them and they are a good value for a lunchbox locker.

I cannot say enough about my ARB's
As long as you get the plumbing and wiring buttoned down they are flawless, on demand, lockers, very stout and reliable, but of course $$$

It wanted selectable for the snow, so my choices were limited. It is so nice being able to select front, rear, or both (if you wire it properly)

X2. I've had great luck with my ARB for several years.

Detroit full c-clip eliminator... I've had one in my last two trucks and the first truck was a daily driver for the 3 years I had it. The truetac is a nice unit too, have had them in the front of both trucks.

Full Locker

Detroit Tru tetrac

We have a full detroit locker in our '92.. It been in there for 150k miles or so. Still working just fine.

It was the best upgrade we have done to the X.

It does wear the rear tires faster than the front.. Can give you locker wiggle (rear end wiggles when you get on/off/on the gas, especially when in a light turn on the freeway)..

Those are small prices to pay for what we got.. IF we lived where there was snow/ice I think we would have gone with a selectable locker.. Full locker in snow/ice can be interesting.

~Mark

IF we lived where there was snow/ice I think we would have gone with a selectable locker

That is why I will most likely go with a True-Trac in the future when I put new gears in. With living in Kansas City you never knpw what winter will throw at you.

I have AWD but I still think a locking diff would cause problems.

thanks guys, I really enjoyed everyones input on all the various types and experiences with them. Money will probly be the large limiting factor on what I am able to get though (single dad rasing two teenage girls by myself ) but I will just have to save-up.

ive been using my aussie locker for 8 months and ive had no issues. it was $245 with free shipping on ebay. it operates smooth and isnt too notchy

I've had my Lock Right in since September and I love it. I drive it every day and I wheel it occasionally. I've driven in snow and ice with it now thanks to the lovely winter we've had here in Missouri this year. If you actually go wheeling, get a locker. If you don't, get a gear-driven limited slip or selectable locker. The locker got a little squirrley a few times, but I never lost control. I just drove easy. The few times it did start ratcheting when I didn't want it to (ice), I just pushed in the clutch and coasted around the turn I was making. The locker ensures that you will get moving (most of the time!), and the open front I think allows slippage and pulls it around corners without losing any control. I fI had the money, I would have bought an ECTED, but I'm very happy with my Lock Right. I wouldn't have gone anywhere without it when we got 18" of snow back in November:

snowwheelin.jpg

so what does anybody think about the factory traction lock? I can get a new one from fms for $246 and that's cheaper than a lock right, but still uses clutches. but for that price it sounds kinda good

ok, glad to know that, wondered why nobody ever mentioned having them. LOL so has anybody used a auburn cone type diff. ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any one have experience with a Detroit True-Trac up front? Just curious, looking into one for my front end?

Back