HELP! I am stuck and i can't get out. (Story of the longest Whoops!) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! I am stuck and i can't get out. (Story of the longest Whoops!)

Here’s my problem. Stupid me went 4x4 in my STOCK!!! Explorer and got stuck in a swamp kind of creek thing. I don't really know what is but basically flooded grass. Its winter, about -13c and about 5 in of snow. So I broke through the ground and the wheels are in ruts and spinning freely. Ground level is the frame. How do I get out?

What I have available to me is a Kubota L2800 (Ruffly the same weight if not alittle heavier then the truck) with plow and Front end loader. I have a 3/4 ton come along and a 2 ton hoist. Lots of chain, no straps. I am a one man show with no help.

I have tried hooking a chain to the frame and the tractor and pulled from behind the truck and got nothing but spinning tires.

I have tried lowering the plow to the ground and curling the bucket to pull the truck out....Nothing

I have tried anchoring the tractor and using the 3/4 ton come along and got no where. I stopped one I couldn't move the handle back on forth easily in worry of breaking the chain.

My next moved was to try from the front of the truck. Anchor the tractor to the ground by putting the bucket and plow down. Attaching the 2 ton hoist to the bucket (there’s hooks welded to it). Attaching a chain to both side of the front frame, placing wooden rams on the front tires to help lift it to higher ground while I pull. My question is worth trying or a stupid idea? Is a hoist to dangerous to use in the vertical position?

Sorry I have no actual picks but i will post them once i can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really hard to say without pics or being there. You have a Hi-lift?

Might have to get a bigger tow vehicle.

For what its worth, it sounds like most anything you would have taken out there would have suffered the same fate

if pulling the truck out with another truck or tractor wont work due to traction you are stuck with only a couple of options.

Come -a- long, winch, or hi lift jack

You should also have tried taking the tires on your stock explorer down to about 12psi and also on the truck trying to do the pulling, this will gain you massive amounts of traction in the slippery stuff.

A hi lift jack can be used to raise the wheel out of the rut and then you basically push the truck over so the jack falls to the ground, slowly this method can get both stuck tires out of the rut and back onto somewhat of the trail.

JHaving lots of helpers with shovels helps a great deal.

Be careful whatever you do, non experienced recovery attemps can be dangerous

Yeah i do! do you think lifting it up and putting something under the tires might help?

always just be CAREFUL

Yeah i do! do you think lifting it up and putting something under the tires might help?

if you can't get any help that is your best bid. as already told becareful.

try to dig underneath the frame. put a piece of wood/iron etc underneath the frame and put your jack into the piece and jack it up. then fill up the holes with rocks.

do that to every tire, but again don't go underneath the car at any time.

good luck

Once the only way we could get a truck out was by pulling in tandem. Since we didnt have long enough rope (chains breaking are dangerous!) we had a Jeep with front hooks roped to the stuck truck, then I had my Ex roped to the Jeep. My truck ended up being on firmer ground and it helped a lot. A neat doodad our old army Iltis had was a wheel winch called an "unstucker", it bolted to the rim and you tied a cable to it and the spinning wheel winched you out. I havent seen on of those in ages. heres a video I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJOeEaba__c&mode=related&search=

Well i guess i am screwed. Got here after work to try at it agian. the water level must of rose a bit and now its frozen in the water. I guess once it freezes your SOL.

I have pictures but where is a good place to host perferebly for free.

the same happened to me(well sort of) i was stuck in about 2 feet of watery mud that when u step in it takes ur shoes off

well my fathers 03 suburban and my uncles 01 s10 zr2 both pulling together could not get me out... a big payloader pulled me out

just be patient and get lots of help and the biggest truck u can find!!!!!

Well i am learning alot from this endevor. I think in the future i will buy my self a older explorer and use that for 4x4 and not my daily driver. Not haveing a vehical right now really sucks! heres the picks and go ahead and laugh i am tuff enough.

i think that if you dig in front of all tires and put rocks on the front ones and put in 4x4 low range it should move.

just a thought

Either wait for the spring thaw, or use a couple of sticks of dynamite!!!:D

You should be able to get it out with one other vehicle. Break the ice up around the wheels, hook a tow strap to the rear of the vehicle and use the second vehicle to put as much tension as possible on the strap. Then, while the tow vehicle is pulling, put your X in 4lo in reverse and creep back.. It should come out...it's not dug in that bad.

You definitely should drain and refill your axles after it's sat in the water for a while....maybe tranny and xfer case too just to be safe.

Damn that is some crap, I'd shoveling as much as I could and start getting something under those tires. And as others have mentioned, it can dangerous doing recovery and doing it yourself only makes it more. Atleast the truck is not out in the sticks.

LOL well its getting worse. i thought i would just start the truck and let it warm up and melt some of the ice.

The fuel lines are frozen! it wont start at all!

so i was able to get some help. My uncle runs a landscaping company and he is going to come down with his excavator and dig/pull me out! i will take pics and let you know how this goes!

awesome!! That sucker is STIZZUCK!! It may not be starting because your exhaust pipe is under water? fuel lines shouldnt freeze.....

Major bummer :(

If you can't get her unstuck tonite and you do dig some ice away. Stick sticks, branches anything inthere so it wont freeze tight again on ya.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I still think a hi lift jack is your best bet for getting those tires out of the holes. it may do a number on your stock bumpers though and you will need a base for the jack on that slush/ice/snow

I just went through this last week, the plow truck slipped off our driveway, 78 suburban with plow, 30" tires with chains, STUCK. Hi lift about 6 times on the rear bumper and we were able to push it back onto the driveway and regain traction

Back