Glacier's "How Good Is An Ebay *Rebuilt* A4LD Transmission" ? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Glacier's "How Good Is An Ebay *Rebuilt* A4LD Transmission" ?

I've encountered a few knock off devices/parts on ebay. First question to the seller and my money has been refunded. Makes you wonder if they know they're selling crap.

As far as a low mileage rebuild, seems he still continues to lie.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the hopes of salvaging SOMETHING from this thread... let me post a listing of used transmission parts never to buy on e-bay:

A4LD... Torque convertors, ANY planetary, any sprag, bands, servos, modulator, governor

4R/5R55E ... Torque convertor, ANY planetary, any sprag, bands, servos, EPC solenoid, TCC solenoid, torrington bearings. The fact that FORD put needle bearings in lots of places that used to have bushings makes it a little bit of a crapshoot on so many otherwise non-suspect parts (example - the forward drum.... cast iron and wears like it... but the needle bearing on the snout in the 4R/5R can be lunched in a fragged tranny. Be especially careful on 4R/5R internals that have needle bearings.)

4R70W - Torque convertor, Reverse drum, sun shell, servos, accumulators

As I think of more I'll add it.

Not so. Input and output shafts, center supports (careful here), forward clutch drum in the A4LD, and 4R70W, direct drum in the 4R70W, stub shaft in the 4R70W, cases (careful here) rear ring gear in all, front OD ring gear in the A4LD/4R/5R, possibly pumps (careful here as well) 4r70W planetary (careful of bushing damage here)... and a few other things my mind cannot conjure up right now... but it IS about 40% of them. And for the things in the 4R/5R with needle bearings that was not an absolute no no, just a caution.

The ATRA code is illustrative:

1. all internal and external parts shall be dismantled and cleaned and inspected;

2. all lined friction clutch plates, all gasket and rubber parts, all rotating metal sealing rings, and disposable type filters shall be replaced with new;

3. all dynamic application bands shall be replaced with new or relined bands, each time;

4. the torque converter shall be considered to be a part of the transmission; and any torque converter which is judged as not capable of delivering new converter performance and life shall be replaced with a new, used, or rebuilt converter which will; and the converter which is installed along with a rebuilt transmission main body shall be guaranteed by the member, along with the rest of the transmission;

5. any and all other impaired, defective, or substantially worn parts which are not mentioned above, but which would not be expected to deliver new part performance, shall be restored to a sound condition, or replaced with new, rebuilt, or un-impaired used parts which will.

So many of the parts I referenced are parts that likely SHOULD be replaced in a majority of rebuilds,and buying them sight unseen is dangerous...for FEW will ever meet the test.:thumbdwn:

Kaiser... I had a few hundred bucks of mad money so went for it. I cannot afford to pop a grand for one to tear down right now.

Completely understandable :D I wasn't sure what they were going for on eBay.

Maybe a member here would be willing to buy another "rebuilt/remanufactured" tranny and send it to you. If all is up to your standards, the member gets a piece of mind that the tranny is actually "good" If the tranny is not up to your standards, the forums gets a new diary and the member gets a Glacier tranny!!!!

What do you think?
Mark

Well Mark not sure exactly how that would work, and round-trip shipping can be kinda expensive on something like a tranny. But it's an interesting concept.... other than the cost of my time not being factored in (g).

The final bit in this saga just occurred. The seller called me (finally after I called him several times and never having heard back from him - pre-delivery) and angrily asked if I was going to return the tranny.

Well, sheesh - he refunded my money, the tranny is his. Of course I expect to have it back in his possession. I had put it out where he left it and told him I was going to do that. I do not have his address... so go figure.

Anyway I told him it was where he had left it for me, and he angrily said he had delivered it to me, which he didn't have to do (I agree - but I did not ask for that, he just did it) and it seemed only right that I should deliver it back to him. Well ok, seems like a fair deal to me since I had planned to pick it up and didn't have to. So while I am getting his address, he is wanting to debate the transaction with me - which I calmly tell him I will not do.... and I can hear his wife in the background yelling at him that she wants him to come get it, she does not trust "him" (me).

I look up his location on mapquest and so I'll drop it off tomorrow. I kinda feel sorry for him. Was I at fault in my expectations based on the ad ? I mean to me remanufactured = rebuilt. FRESH rebuild.

Oh well. It is over and the good news was I picked up a good 4R70W 4WD, and discovered a great way to ship trannies! FORWARD AIR. A 4R70W weighing 210 lbs arrived from Denver to Sacramento CA today for $145 in shipping.

WHOA! Deal!

I'm going to rebuild it for sale. No diaries but maybe some additional shots to augment the existing one. It supposedly has only 59K on it so will be interesting to check wear at that intermediate age.

update. I unwrapped and detached the 4R70W with supposedly 50,000 miles from the pallet and stood it up... I had to breifely lay it down and it had tranny fluid run out if it..... very red fluid. Not bright red "fresh" but not "Motor oil" either. Now it could ave been changed, ut I am thinking it is what it is.... stock. So, if that A4LD was a low mileage rebuild, it probably had way more miles than "low" given the fluid coloration.

It's also possible that the vehicle was used for towing, and might have had an overheating problem. That would cause the fluid to turn brown after a short time.
trannyfluid.jpg

Well folks.... assuming my good friend "Jerry" was simply uninformed, I did not out him before.... I told him about my issues with the use of "remanufactured" but ya know what... he is using it still.... so...he isn't stupid, he is DISHONEST..A CHEAT AND LIAR... so I am outing him. Here is the current post, once again:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FORD-EXPLORER-A...ryZ33727QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Assuming you still do not get it (he apparently doesn't or doesn't care) let's play a game. It goes like this...If I have a tranny that was "once rebuilt" and rode hard afterwards (remember this tranny bled "motor oil" colored ATF) and I can call it "remanufactured" because it "once" was... YES ? oh, goodie! and if that is so then does that mean if I have a never rebuilt tranny on it's last legs I can call it "NEW"? I guess Jerry thinks so. All used trannies become NEW ! I like his thinking ! NOT.

Above is a link. Buyer beware, he is a not an honest seller. This trans is NOT remanufactured...his weasel wording in the main post not withstanding. SilverisMoney ain't silver in YOUR pocket. It is ill begotten silver in his. This is a junkyard tranny... with crudely cut cooler lines. As long as you understand that, price accordingly and bid accordingly. Junkyard core.

PS. BE WARNED.. in spite of nothing being said about it....this is WITH a core expected.... at least he told me I owed him a core.

pps. I hate it when I give people the benefit of the doubt and they go on to cheat others. I should have left this jerk negative feedback. This is the best I can do... is state the facts for others.

And after all this, guess who got the negative feedback in this transaction?

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT ?

And after all this, guess who got the negative feedback in this transaction?

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT ?

Having dealt with eBay on a regular basis at a previous job, I know you can contact them and dispute the negative feedback. If you want to get rid of the guy for false advertisement of his parts and prevent others from being scammed by him, I would seriously consider it. Just explain, in detail, everything that happened. They keep records of each item (auction number) people put on their site and they have a policy against scam artists (they don't tolerate them at all).
Just my humble opinion but I hope you find it helpful!

Sojourner

Thank you I might consider it. I was dumbfounded to have been the one getting negative feedback in this transaction. Heck I never even asked him for my money back, he just did it (which I thought was a nice gesture). I really HATE to leave anynone negative feedback and since he refunded my money unasked I left him neutral feedback. (Even though I thought his ad was deceptive). His bad act seems to be recent, and he has a number of positives... which is why I did not rain on his parade. In retrospect I should have left him a negative.... he had no similar compunction.

I also assumed based on his lousy english skills that maybe english was his second language. He is practically illiterate. I didn't want to ruin his chance at a living. (Of course he accused me of being a poor reader of his ad - which I posted verbatim)

I also assumed based on his lousy english skills that maybe english was his second language. He is practically illiterate. I didn't want to ruin his chance at a living. (Of course he accused me of being a poor reader of his ad - which I posted verbatim)

You might need the link for the original auction to show the folks at eBay what exactly was stated about the part. So you don't have to look it up, here it is (I found it in his "feedback" area, so I know it is still there):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=220074705958

It clearly states the item is "remanufactured" and he is now selling it as "used" in his new auction. I would persue this, if I were you. I am sure they will ban him from the site or, at the very least, give him a warning. He has other negatives against him as well.
Good luck!

One person once sold me a used, counterfeit drill on EBay. EBay reimbursed me their limit ($175) which was half the cost of the drill. They never kicked the seller off. After that guy ripped me off, he made about $5k more since then selling other power tools. EBay is there only for them to make a profit, not for your best interest. The drill was beaten up, had a burned out speed control, broken chisel mode, and had a beaten up metal carry case. The seller advertised it as a brand new Hitachi. Hitachi sent me an email explaining that the false model # which was printed in the auction page never existed as a valid Hitachi model, and the Hitachi labels were printed up. The authorized Hitachi repair center said that it was a no name brand, made in China drill which goes for about $60-$75 new.

One person once sold me a used, counterfeit drill on EBay. EBay reimbursed me their limit ($175) which was half the cost of the drill. They never kicked the seller off. After that guy ripped me off, he made about $5k more since then selling other power tools. EBay is there only for them to make a profit, not for your best interest. The drill was beaten up, had a burned out speed control, broken chisel mode, and had a beaten up metal carry case. The seller advertised it as a brand new Hitachi. Hitachi sent me an email explaining that the false model # which was printed in the auction page never existed as a valid Hitachi model, and the Hitachi labels were printed up. The authorized Hitachi repair center said that it was a no name brand, made in China drill which goes for about $60-$75 new.

In that case, the seller may have received a warning. I am not sure how the process works but I have personally seen people (or user names, to be more precise) that have been banned from selling things on eBay because of fraudulent dealings with others. Whether there is a warning process involved or if it depends on the type of transaction involved (business vs. personal), I can't tell you. I just know that they do, eventually, get around to dealing with these people.... IF you make a big enough stink about it!

glaicer there is a process u can withtract your feedback and they have to do the same. worth a shot so u wont' have a negative. but the thing u wrote there will remain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back