possible project, but a few questions first | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

possible project, but a few questions first

1992exploder

Reaction score
City, State
KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
Well a friend of mine who installs turbo kits on mustangs has offered to hook me up with a turbo kit for the explorer. He said that he'd do the install if I just helped him some, and paid for the kit. He is giving me his discount and it will total about $900.

My questions are...

What HP is safe for the 4.0L block, crank, rods, and pistons?

I am thinking about doing this turbo addition when I do my engine rebuild. Will hyper pistons be strong enough or will I have to find a forged set (do they even make them for this motor???).

Let me know what issues you all would be worried about, and what should I use in the rebuild to make it safe?

If I do this at all Im going to run a very limited amount of boost.

Let me know what you guys think ASAP.

If I do this at all Im going to run a very limited amount of boost.

say around 4 or 5 psi and you shouldnt have to worry about a piston coming through the block. but it would probably be a good idea like you said to do an engine overhaul, if you only upgraded the pistons and rings. Of course if you wanted to run more psi you could get forged pistons and crank, new rockers, etc. (basiclly upgrade the entire engine assembly) and you could run 6-8 psi.

i say go for it i think it would be cool to see a turbo explorer.

by the way whats in the kit? of course the turbo, but what else, blow-off value, intercooler. You prob. already know but your goin to need to upgrade the fuel system too. good luck

yeah, I think the biggest problem Im going to have is finding parts for this project. I would think that it would be hard to find a high volume fuel pump, fpr, injectors, etc.

Does anyone know where to find forged internals for these motors?

Does anyone know where to find fuel system upgrades?

Back