• Register Today It's free!

front end problem, i think?

Lukekool

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I have a 96 Explorer, this is my first experience with a four wheel drive, Can anyone offer an explanation as to why I experienced sudden steering difficulties and a slight wobble in the steering wheel and also a whoosh whoosh noise or something like that also. while turning tight left or right I hear A loud squeaking noise sounds like it is coming from one of the front wheels, I also hear a rumbling/grinding sound while driving it is sporadic but there alot more than it isn't there. A while later after it sat a while it was if it never happened. It steers ok. I Was in 4 wheel Auto since it Snowed the days before. but now i am in Two Wheel Drive and it seems now it does not want to reverse like something is in a bind or locked up, ANY THOUGHTS on what it could be, help please? and also my ABS light is on but the brakes seem to work just fine.

Thank you in advance

Kenny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From reading alot of posts on the internet it sounds like my problem could be a front hub. Is there anyway to verify this? or any other troubleshooting hints.

Kenny

Never mind and thanks for the advice the problem showed it self thursday night.

What was it?

It was the front right hub/bearing assembly. the wheel pretty much locked up on the snow and had quite of bit of camber lol

Back