• Register Today It's free!

96 XLT transfer case

jrsweger

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I'm having a problem with my 96 XLT 4 wheel drive. The mechanic says that when on the lift in 4 wheel auto, all wheels spin but he is able to stop the front shaft with his hands with no effort. He said he gets the same results in 4wd low. He says the transfer case is bad. They have located one from the local junkyard for $500 (supposedly has less than 50k on it (yea right)). A couple of questions. Does this sound right? I have read through a few threads here and it is mentioned that a 97-98 transfer case can be installed in place of the original. What else needs changed besides the 3 position switch on the dash? Any other controls? I'm going to be able to get the old transfer case so I might just hang on to it in case the used one fails at some point and maybe rebuild it (where is a good place to get parts for the rebuild and how much?)

One other question, is it safe to assume you can put these in 4wd auto on the fly and is there an upper speed limit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having a problem with my 96 XLT 4 wheel drive. The mechanic says that when on the lift in 4 wheel auto, all wheels spin but he is able to stop the front shaft with his hands with no effort. He said he gets the same results in 4wd low. He says the transfer case is bad. They have located one from the local junkyard for $500 (supposedly has less than 50k on it (yea right)). A couple of questions. Does this sound right? I have read through a few threads here and it is mentioned that a 97-98 transfer case can be installed in place of the original. What else needs changed besides the 3 position switch on the dash? Any other controls? I'm going to be able to get the old transfer case so I might just hang on to it in case the used one fails at some point and maybe rebuild it (where is a good place to get parts for the rebuild and how much?)

One other question, is it safe to assume you can put these in 4wd auto on the fly and is there an upper speed limit?
Kinda sounds like this mechanic is trying to rip you off. A junk yard transfer case for $500 is waay too much. I would also not trust your mechanic on this diagnostics. Take the vehicle home and check the 4wd system yourself -- get on something slippery (snow, mud, wet grass etc..), put the in-dash switch to 4HI (or "4WD" but not 4LO), and see if the front pulls at all. Note that you can probably only see the left front wheel so perhaps having another person watch the right front wheel to see if its gripping would be a good idea. You could also remove the rear driveshaft temporarilly, put the vehicle in 4HI (or again "4WD" but not 4LO), and see if your vehicle is driveable around the neighborhood block.

Unfortunately, no you can not swap a 97-98 transfer case in your vehicle (one can not even swap a 97 with a 98 and visa versa :( ).

As for what speed you can engage the 4HI (or again "4WD" but definitely NOT 4LO), most people and I think the manual says ~45 mph. However, others on the forum enjoy 4wd at higher speeds ;)

I probably should have clarified in my original post that I'm fairly sure the 4WD is not working at all on this vehicle. I've been in the snow with the switch in the 4WD Auto position and am certain that there was no front wheel action just by the way the vehicle acted.

As far as the junkyard price, I think I'm paying for convenience as there are only three in the area, one of which only has high mileage ones that they are refusing to sell. I suppose I could wait since it is almost "spring" but this is my daily driver and I can't afford to have it off the road for any length of time even though it is driveable as a 2WD vehicle.

So the transfer case is not swappable, as a direct replacement or is it just not possible to at all. I thought I had read about some who replaced the control trac with a manual style transfer case, or was I dreaming.

You weren't dreaming, some guys have done the swap. I'm one of them.
A 1354 case out of a 90-something Ranger bolted right in. I'm very happy with the outcome.
There are a couple electrical issues to deal with if you go this route. Nothing terrible though.

Yeah the electric-shift transfer case can be swapped in with a manual 1354 one.

But if you're stuck in the snow, why didnt you put it in 4HI instead of Auto?

Yeah the electric-shift transfer case can be swapped in with a manual 1354 one.

But if you're stuck in the snow, why didnt you put it in 4HI instead of Auto?

That's not an option in the '96. I have 2WD, 4WD auto, and 4WD low. I'd settle for having the option for the 4 auto, 4 HI, and 4 LO.

oh thats right, u cant swap a manual in unless you get another source of vacuum because your front axle is disconnected.

I control the axle disconnect solenoids with a toggle switch.
A big plus of this is the availability of 2lo.

I wanted to report back with an update. I had the transfer case replaced. the mechanic said that everything now seemed to be functioning normal. I haven't had a chance to get out and give it a shot myself, I'm hoping for a little snow. One other thing that I have noted since the repair and I never would have suspected this to be a result, I had a problem with the speedometer fluctuating in speed, mostly in the 50 to 65 range. I had replaced all the speed sensors with no improvement. This was also causing my cruise control to change speeds (surging) rendering it unusable. Since the swap, the speedometer reading has been rock solid. I haven't used the cruise yet but I'm suspecting it to work correctly as well.

I also was able to get the old transfer case and I'm planning on opening it up at some point. Any guesses as to what might be wrong or what I should be looking for?

Back