Skyjacker 2". Camber/Caster shims really necessary? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Skyjacker 2". Camber/Caster shims really necessary?

Willhelm

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Cod, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 2door
Im about to order my skyjacker 2" but everywhere i look there are disclaimers about Camber/caster shims being required and they range anywhere from 30-88$$, im not really sure what they do either. Id assume if they were really necessary skyjacker would just include them as part of the kit.

feedback anyone?

Be easy im new :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The camber busings are required to keep the camber in spec on your alignment.

Camber idetermines how much the tires lean in or out at the top.

Im about to order my skyjacker 2" but everywhere i look there are disclaimers about Camber/caster shims being required and they range anywhere from 30-88$$, im not really sure what they do either. Id assume if they were really necessary skyjacker would just include them as part of the kit.

feedback anyone?

Be easy im new :D

They are located at the top of both steering knuckles and you can see the upper ball joint passes through one in the pic below. When you get an alignment the shop can adjust camber by loosening the pinch bolt and rotating the camber bushing to bring it back into speck.. Camber bushings come in several sizes (degrees) and yours cannot bring alignment back into spec you will need new ones. Most kits don't include them because each vehicle is slightly different and you may or may not need new ones. Usually after you lift you vehicle you bring it into the shop for an alignment and they will let you know which bushings you need.. Of course they'll be glad to install new ones for $$...

Steering_knuckle_labels_WEB.jpg

The general concensus on this board has been that you don't need'em on a lift of 2" or less. I put 2.5" coils on my wife's Sport without new camber bushings, and the alignment shop got it within a couple fraction of a degree. That was several years ago, and we don't have any more abnormal tire wear than the average TTB truck does.

Bottom line: do the lift without the bushings, see how you like it, if it bothers you in any way, THEN put them in.

Just like most Fords you'll have to mod it & then see if you need it. Some X's do some don't. Mine did, but a friends with the same kit & year & tire size did not.

I just got done putting in a pair of 2" lift Daystars, and now my tires look like this: \ / Im waiting for a new set that will straighten them out.

Um yes if you add 2" of lift coil to a TTB you will need the max correction camber shims to get your camber back to within limits.

moog 2.75 degree camber shims 4x4 are what I recommend

i needed the moog 2.75's for my 2in. skyjacker lift, would have never got close without them. i did not get the moog brand though, napa has the 2.75's also, think they was about 30.00 or so...

My tires leaned out pretty bad when I installed my skyjackers, definitly do not want to drive around very long like this, tires are one thing, but the damage to the bearings and ball joints would add up quick.

Back