It's New Engine Time. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

It's New Engine Time.

lucky you! Should last a bit then :) I was just going to say with the engine out nows the time for a clutch!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info. Any ideas on the lifetime of a manual trans before a rebuild?

250-450K it just depends, the Mazda 5 speed has been known to have problems but some of them just go forever, so just run it till it blows up

The 5-speed M5OD's seem to be fine, it's the slave cylinder that constantly goes out on these things. A factory slave cyl seems to last 100K, and most aftermarkets last about half that. PITA to replace, dropping the trans and everything. Hopefully a new slave was installed when the new clutch was put in, if not, I highly suggest you get one put in while things are apart anyway.

I know that Jasper remans have a good warrenty and all, but the engines they sell are not all they are cracked up to be. I am an assistant service manager at a local Ford dealership. One of the techs' friends has a 91 X with a two year old Jasper rebuild in it. The engine is leaking out of every gasket it has, and the shop that installed it went out of business, so no warrenty for him.:thumbdwn: From what I have seen of Jasper rebuilds, they tend to use the cheapest parts they can to rebuild engines, i.e., gaskets, lifters, pushrods, etc. The engine I am talking about has about 30K on it and it already is starting to lose a lifter on the #4 and #5 cylinder. Also, be careful about the shop you choose to have the engine installed. The shop that installed the aforementioned engine did not properly prep the exhaust manifolds either, and put cheap gaskets on that are leaking so bad it is hard to stand next to the truck without getting dizzy. The tech is going to replace the valve cover gaskets and properly prep/check the manifolds to make sure they can be used without gaskets like they came from the factory, in an attempt to keep the truck going for a little while longer. Basically though, it needs a new engine again. Good luck on the engine though. If you manage to find a good one(used or reman) these things can run for well over 200K with proper maintanance.

The m5od on my old 94 lasted 72K miles. 10K of which I put on.

I used to be stationed in Charleston and found a low mileage replacement engine at I think it was blue and gold or something like that for like 700 you can also check out http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi and see if someone near you has one could save you a few bucks even if you have someone else install it

"I am an assistant service manager at a local Ford dealership."

Then you should know that the Ford dealer is trying to rip me off, claiming a faulty injector is to blame for my new reman from Ford bending a valve. Methinks the dealer is pulling a fast one. It is alright, my brother in law is going to the shop with me, he put the engine in.

"I am an assistant service manager at a local Ford dealership."

Then you should know that the Ford dealer is trying to rip me off, claiming a faulty injector is to blame for my new reman from Ford bending a valve. Methinks the dealer is pulling a fast one. It is alright, my brother in law is going to the shop with me, he put the engine in.

Now that was a beneficial addition to the thread.

Young grasshopper, much you to learn.;)

"Young grasshopper, much you to learn."

I think it is beneficial.

Letting you know that dealing with the dealer with a reman is not pleasant and have found that to be true with other folks after searching the web. I would not recommend a Ford factory reman for anything. Don't tell me what I need to learn, please. If you had purchased a reman, installed yourself with a mechanic/family member, and then had the engine fail you would be upset too. We did it right, and the engine failed.

Thanks Guys for all of your input. After crunching the numbers and considering all the factors, it appears that I may be passing her on to the next life.

Please check the "Vehicles - For Sale" if you are interested in a solid body.

Thanks Again!

"Dealing with the dealer is not a pleasant experience."

I will be the bigger man here and apologize on behalf of all Ford dealers everywhere, all 4000+ of them, for your experience with THIS particular dealer. Your statement is a rather broad generalization for ALL dealers, as opposed to the ONE dealer you are having a bad experience with. Beyond that, I was not telling him to take the vehicle to a dealer, but rather trying to offer helpful advice on my experience with Jasper rebuilds. As a matter of fact, everyone subscribing to this post was trying to offer helpful advice with the exception of you.

As to the original post, I wish you good luck in selling your truck or getting a new motor. :thumbsup:

"Know thy enemy, otherwise you may end up looking like an idiot."

Back