Jrgaylor's 91 Explorer full width D44/9 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jrgaylor's 91 Explorer full width D44/9

Full Width Axle Swap

FRONT
Cage extended tubular radius arms
6 1/2" W/Winch BC Bronco springs
F-250 front shock mount (with 3/16” 2”X4” tube spacer) bolted and welded to frame
Rancho RS99261 shocks front
Superlift Adjustable Trac-Bar for 76-79 F100-F150 (Modified)
Superlift Extended brake lines for 89-97 RANGER, BRONCO II, 90-94 EXPLORER (Modified calipers)
Warn Premium hubs
Moog upper & lower ball joints
1 1/2" DOM draglink and tie rod with chevy TRE's
Yukon Superjoints
Yukon Chromoly Axles
Yukon Gears 4.86
ARB Air locker
Dana 44 from a 78 F-150
Stock 78 F-150 Coil Buckets (with 3/16” 2”X4” tube spacer) bolted and welded to frame
Stock 78 F-150 Trac Bar Mount (spaced out 1” bolted to steering gear box, weld to coil bucket and frame and welded gusset to frame)
Tie rod over knuckle conversion draglink and tie rod 1 1/2" DOM and Chevy tie rod ends

REAR
7" Long spring perch (spring over axle conversion)
Rancho RS99254 shocks rear (shock mounts stock 9” swapped side for side and welded to back side of axle)
Yukon gears 4.88
Yukon Chromoly Axles
ARB Air locker
James Duff 9” Skid plate
Stock 78 F-150 brake line
ARB Heavy Duty Airline Kit #HDAL

TIRES
Super Swamper IROK'S Radials 37X12.5-15

OTHER
ARB Air compressor mounted next to radiator
Stock 91 explorer front drive shaft 1310 u-joints
Stock 91 explorer rear shaft with extended slip yoke 1310 & 1310/1330 ******* U-joints

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been considering bead locks for some time now, I have never blown a bead If I have any problems I will be buying some of the DIY weld on type, I have a friend who got some for his Bronco2 and they seem to work

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

What did you end up using for E-brake cables in the rear?

did the ones from the donor truck work?

Thanks

The stock e-brake cable was long enough for mine.

I took off the stock f-150 cables and applied the explorer cable

OK thanks

I didnt think that the stock explorer cables would work due to the full width axles and now the 2 more inches of suspension lift i now have.
The stock cables seemed to be almost too short with my 4" lift leafs and extended shackles before.

I think i will try using a set of ranger cables since they should give me a little more slack

Thanks

I have added a few new items
yukon Superjoints and a HD airline for the rear locker and switched to BC bronco 6 1/2" springs in the front, they seem to me to have a much better ride on the trails that the progressive type I had in before

Attachments

• 100_0259 (Small).jpg
    100_0259 (Small).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,143
  • 100_0262 (Small).jpg
    100_0262 (Small).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,140
  • 100_0264 (Small).jpg
    100_0264 (Small).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,133

are u just running better ujoints or have u upgraded shafts too

Burns said:
are u just running better ujoints or have u upgraded shafts too

I have the Yukon super joints and Yukon 4340 axles,

Fornt end springs

I have a 1994 explorer and the doner rig is a 1979 bronco I understand all the things you have done but what kind of coil springs did you use and how much lift are they rated for thanks?

I am now using the BC bronco 6 1/2" lift W/Winch springs (early bronco)they provide me with about 6" of lift, and they ride much nicer on and off road than the 5 1/2" wildhorse rockcrawlers(early bronco) I had on it before.
I recently rode in a stock 91 X and my explorer rides smoother than stock.

You are way up north of me

what you pay for the DOM?

Tie rod over knuckle complete

Attachments

• 100_0932 (Small).jpg
    100_0932 (Small).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 970
  • 100_0934 (Small).jpg
    100_0934 (Small).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 930
  • 100_0935 (Small).jpg
    100_0935 (Small).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 945

Whoa, when did you get the shop built???

More pics

looks good....I might have to use this setup now....Impressed..

Engine crossmember trimming and notching, I will be watching this area closely on the next few outings for cracks.

Joe, just wondering, did any problems develop? Or did you reinforce it since the first page of this thread?

Joe, just wondering, did any problems develop? Or did you reinforce it since the first page of this thread?

I still have not had any problems with the crossmember, I have recently trimed more from the crossmember for more clearance when I modified my tracbar and tracbar bracket

are those the stock radius arms or did you buy the longer ones

did you have to buy longer brake lines or shocks and how much did it cost just for the front axle swap cause im getting ready to do the same to mine

did you have to buy longer brake lines or shocks and how much did it cost just for the front axle swap cause im getting ready to do the same to mine

The brakelines are 6" extended if I remember right, the radius arms are stock witha slight bend in them for tire clearance.
You can swap in a axle fairly cheap if you find donor rig, it is the upgrades that start costing you money, I would guess I have around 3K invested in my front axle as of today

Back