• Register Today It's free!

Axle problems

tomt666

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 sport
When I make a sharp turn I hear a zzzzzzzzzzz noise comming from the front axle. After looking at this site I think this is caused by a bad U-joints.
If correct I wanted to know how long I can drive with a bad U-joint without having the risk of breaking it.

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a clicking on my 2WD that I can hear while out of gear (5 spd) and rolling into my driveway. Same thing?

Tom Tom.. I'd take a look at your bearings first. Try repacking them with grease, as it's much cheaper than replacements! (Do a search for details if you don't know how to do that).

Tiger, it's probably your U-joints if there is clicking and popping.

Good luck guys!

Mike... :D

sticking hub or abs senser

i know that the ford limited slip makes a grinding sound while turning but it could also be a bearing. but if its only on turns its probly not your u joints

Its not U-joints... The U-joints on the front axle only rotate when in 4x4 or if the HUB is locked. As such it is most likely a HUB or wheel bearing problem.. A hub problem is easy to diagnose, just engage 4x4 and make the same turn.. If the noise goes away then you hub was the problem (obviously don't take a sharp corner on dry pavement, try this on a dirt or wet road)
Bearings would tend to make noise ALL the time, but hubs wouldn't as they should be either locked or unlocked.. Unfortunately it is all too common for people to pack hubs full of grease which causes hydro locking problems (which prevents the hub from locking or forces the hub to make intermittent contact with the cam assembly (thus the buzzing noise)...

Aha!! Well I stand corrected!! :D :salute: :D

Back