Moab 2007 May 19-20 Chat Thread | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2007 May 19-20 Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone tell me who this member is, and if there is any info on the skid plates he made.

Ray's skid plates didn't work out well for him. When he ran the Rubicon he was constantly getting hung up because of it. I wouldn't reccomend a full plate like that.

Take the money you would have spent on steel and buy a couple spare torsion bars and adjusting bolts...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like i may make it. I've got alot to get done if im gonna. I'll keep you posted.

So for the first time since 2003 I may not make it to Moab! I just started a new job and money is really tight, but I am going to try my hardest to make it, even if its only for Saturday. I'll keep everyone informed, but it dosen't look good for me making it for the entire weekend. :(

Regarding the weather; it was blazing hot last year. I'd swear it was 87.3 - 91.7 degrees and dry... we put on coats of 35 SPF about every 2-3 hours!

So for the first time since 2003 I may not make it to Moab! I just started a new job and money is really tight, but I am going to try my hardest to make it, even if its only for Saturday. I'll keep everyone informed, but it dosen't look good for me making it for the entire weekend. :(
Man, I hope you can make it. Last year was a blast with your uploaded slideshow at night around the campfire :D. Good luck with your new job Mike.

Just made the reservation at Canyonlands. Looks like we'll be camping across the creek as well. But that'll just give me a chance to clean the undercarriage. :D I can almost smell the slickrock already.

Jefe I was actually wanting to run Golden Spike and Poison Spider Mesa either saturday or sunday. So I'd be in for a run to it. I was waiting to see what rick was going to throw up. I would also like to try Moab Rim and Elephant Hill if possible.:thumbsup:

If you or anyone else is interested it Elephant Hill, I was thinking about taking the back way in or out, I think it is called Beef Basin Road or something like that. It comes off of U-211 before you get to the park entrance and is a pretty easy trail that goes up into some higher elevations and then get progressively more difficult as you get closer to Elephant Hill and then you come up on the back side of SOB and go up and over Elephant Hill. I've done it twice. Once in each direction. If we go Beef Basin to Elephant Hill, we need to start early. When I went that way, I experienced the "backwards-and-in-the-dark" mistake that tricks so many off roaders on Elephant Hill. There is a small turn of so that you can turn around go up a little part backwards to make a very sharp Z-turn and continue on up in a forward direction. Well in the dark it is hard to see that turn-off and many people go right on by and have to make the Z-turn and proceed backwards. My brother was in a Jeep and made a 20-point turn to go forward around the Z, but the explorer was too long. So the next time we did it, we did Elephant Hill first, in the light of morning, and went out on Beef Basin. It isn't as extreme as Elephant Hill, but we were able to play in a little snow in the higher elevations. I don't remember now, I think that might have been earlier in the year, so I don't know if there will still be snow in May or not.

There is also a short hike to the overlook of Chesler Park. It is one of the best views I have seen around Moab, or anywhere for that matter. I would also suggest that or the short spur trail up to the confluence overlook to see the Green and the Colorado rivers come together. It is a fun little side trail and the confluence is rather interesting because the Green River is literally Green and the the Colorado is brown, they merge together and the colors stay on seperate sides for a little ways down the river.

So, just some suggestions, what does anybody think?

Sevenmile Rim looks like a good group run type trail. I'm thinking of maybe trying it out. Have any of you done Sevenmile Rim or Moab Rim?

Question for Moab group. Due to my trail rating of a 2, am I going to need to find my trails to run? Or is there any group runs planned for the less trail rated?

Not to speak for everyone else but I am sure there will be trail runs for trails you can complete. I may be running some that wouldn't be a problem for you to run, I'll post up as soon as I have my game plan 100% complete.

I'm thinking after Strike Ravine at B.F.E. I may head out and do some easy trails to let the wife get some driving time. I'll post up here as soon as I am positive which ones I am going to run. I don't believe strikes ravine and minor threat will be very long, they are short distances. I plan on running on friday until it gets dark.

Question for Moab group. Due to my trail rating of a 2, am I going to need to find my trails to run? Or is there any group runs planned for the less trail rated?

Based on the description in your signature, you can go anywhere I can go and beyond. I have a 3" body lift and 31s. So, I'm basically stock and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. You have a pretty decent lift and tires, with the 4.10s and LS, you'll be fine.

Sevenmile Rim looks like a good group run type trail. I'm thinking of maybe trying it out. Have any of you done Sevenmile Rim or Moab Rim?

I have never run Sevenmile Rim, I don't have my book here at work to look at the description, but its not too tough, right?

Moab Rim is a very fun trail, but I can't do it in my Explorer, I am too small and don't have lockers. I would love to ride along, if anyone going on that trail has room for two.

I'll keep everyone informed, but it dosen't look good for me making it for the entire weekend. :(

Sorry to hear that :( But congrats on the new job:thumbsup:

I'm totally bone stock, and I had a blast last year! I did a ride along on friday, was totally blown away by that ride along. then I went out and was even more amazed by what my stock truck did.

and your modified a bit... you should be able to do a lot of stuff there.

As others have said you will have no trouble keeping up with some of the other Explorers modified similar to yours. There are stock/easy/scenic runs everyday. You are more than welcome to join me on one of those. I do not have a set itinerary yet but I am thinking about doing these:

Fri afternoon (3ish-5ish): Bull Canyon, Gemini Bridges
Sat:Long Canyon, Spring Canyon Bottom and Hey Joe Canyon
Sun: Hidden Canyon, Hidden Canyon Overlook, Bartlett Overlook, Rainbow Terrace (maybe)

Brian, I'd be stoked to wheel with you again! I read through all those trails and I think you picked one of the best mixes of scenic/moderate trails with some really amazing scenery! I haven't done Gemini Bridges and it looks like a must.... and I agree that Hey Joe Canyon looks like a fun (overlooked) trail. I'd love to tag along some of the trails if its cool. I just need to find someone to lead fins & things then my trip will be complete ;) ! Thanks for putting together some stocker trails Brian.

Brian, I'd be stoked to wheel with you again! I'd love to tag along some of the trails if its cool. Thanks for putting together some stocker trails Brian.

Douglas, of course! It will be good to wheel with you again as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

becker69 I ran fins and things in 2004, it would be a good trail for my wife to get some drive time on Friday afternoon. If you want I could run it around 3 p.m. after I do my morning trails. Any of you other stockers or slightly modifieds want to join us as well that will be fine. Let me know if your interested.

When I went to Moab in 2004 I had two stockers that followed me and positive vibes through fins and things, I don't remember them having any trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back