aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Whats your ATF temperature?

City? Highway? What ATF are you using?

Thanks .....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Measured in the Pan...
700r4 trans.. stall speed 2700rpm (thats where it flash stalls and brake stand stalls)
2 external coolers (flexalite 10x20 and b&M 8x10) no radiator heat exchanger

75F Degrees out in lockup.. 140ish
105+F Degrees out in lockup (freeway) is 180F
105+F Degrees out, truck parked all day - before I start the truck to leave work (5:00 p.m.) is 130F

Highest recorded temp 195F in stop/go traffic in town in 105+F

Chevron Dextron III non synthetic.. only changed once so far (few k miles after installing).. Will be changed next oil change.. which will be about 10-11k miles..

~Mark

Around 150* highway
Around 180* city

Thats 70-80* The needle is hard to push in the Winter time ;)

160 give or take, summer time.

Al, I have an auxillary filter/temp sensor and 2 auxillary coolers, one with a fan. I'm normally around 140f city and highway unless I tow the boat or I'm going up a hill longer than a mile.

The last 2 miles home from the boat ramp are up hill and I top out at 210f with the fan running, during ambient tempratures of 80f-90f. These are residential roads with a speed limit of 25mph.

I run Amsoil ATF. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mine gets up to 210 on hot days...i need to do something about it.

145 freeway/155 in town @ 90 degs ambiant temp.
PML oversize alum pan, royal purple syn, no front cats, wrapped random-tec Y-Pipe

With ambient air at 95º and at 70 mph, I saw 170º before I installed my aux (Gen. 1) cooler.

Now, it's more like 160º at 70 mph (85º ambient air) and 150º around town (~45 mph).

I'm using stock Mercon III.

At 95 F ambient temperature and highway speed ATF temp - 140 F; in town it will get up to 170 F.

Amsoil ATF.

With my 5R55E and the temp sender in the line to the radiator, Mobil 1:
before aditional cooler:
210 on a good day, 250+ 4 wheeling :eek:
after 12"x14" cooler:
190-220 depending on ambient temp (75-110)

700R4 with temp sender in the pan and 12x14 cooler, Cheap Pro-line Dextron:
160-190 with ambient temp of 75-100
210 max with ambient temp of 112

Mine hit 230 today sitting in traffic, I dunno what the temp outside was, that's coming out of the trans to the cooler so the hottest reading I can get from the trans I beleive. Going to try and install a fan tomorrow, in the middle of a road trip to AZ so may not be the best time.

ouch 230 scares me

My BII pan tempature has seen as high as 165, measured in the rear of the factory pan

Normally it runs about 120-130 in the pan according to my autometer electric gage.

I run cheapo Mercon IV with Lube guard addative.
I run cheapo fluid because I usually change it and the filter at least once a year (not always by choice)

I have a 2 core aluminum radiator with trans cooler built in, plumbed in line with a B&M oil/trans cooler about 14" x 10" in size with a factory 5.0L nylon fan and clutch.

In the light BII, even with big tires in low range crawling it works very very well, best cooling setup I have had thus far.

My explorer is setup similar, except it has a factory plastic and aluminum 5.0L explorer radiator, I have not installed a gage on that truck yet but I would like to see what temps the factory temp sensor is seeing soon, when towing the boat across the highway and in stop and go traffic

2000 explorer sport 4x4
32" tires 4.10 gears
Factory cooler
Temp taken in line to cooler
normal merc v

Normally around 160 F after everything warms up
in the winter around 120 F
offroad 180 F

Digital temp guage maxed out at 250+ in Dallas, Tx in stop and go traffic when we were on vacation and the ex was loaded down with luggage. Cooled back down as soon as we got back on the hwy. I was about ready to pull over and shut it off...

Mine hit 230 today sitting in traffic, I dunno what the temp outside was, that's coming out of the trans to the cooler so the hottest reading I can get from the trans I beleive. Going to try and install a fan tomorrow, in the middle of a road trip to AZ so may not be the best time.
Stop and go traffic (and 4x4ing) is by far the worst since you're not getting much air flow and lots of shifting & TC workout. However, at that temp I'd be checking your engine temps in those conditions to see if it is also high and affecting your trans temp.

:dunno:

1.No Cooler
2.No Gauge
3.2nd Trans

I think I should do something about the first two:(

This thing dies again and I'm going C5

Its been 18 months since my last post in this thread..

The trans fluid is being changed (pan drop only) every 10k miles.. The filter every 20k miles.

There are now over 40k miles on this trans..

I switched to Mobile 1 synthetic transmission fluid. I'm still running both coolers and no Radiator cooler and there is a 10" or so fan in front of the plate cooler that runs as long as the tranmission is not in lockup.

I'm still seeing somewhat high temps but when I change the fluid it is still red (somewhat bright) and doesn't smell burned.

Pan temps are still averaging 70F above ambient temp and will rise to 80F above ambient temp when in stop/go traffic so I'm expecting to see 190F to 200F pan temps during the heat of the summer.

~Mark

Under 140-160 on the highway. 160-180 in traffic or towing. Got it up to 240 backing a trailer up a steep grade in 100 degree weather. Changed the fluid/filters after that one.

Seeing 230 scared the crap out of me so even though I am on the road I took some actions. I mounted a hayden electric fan and thermostatic controller on the trans cooler which is the largest I've found at 25,000+ GVWR I forget the exact dimensions of it but it's half the width of the stock radiator and maybe 2 inches shorter so it's fairly large.

After mounting the fan I saw little to no change, I did not have the heat shields on the exhaust were it passes the bell housing so I bought heat wrap and double wrapped it there. My trans cooler was also mounted right against the radiator I noticed with the electric fan I mouted there was no air flow so I moved the cooler out and hung it off the bottom of the support in front of the radiator and remounted the fan to it. I saw 230 once again in New Mexico where it was rather warm and I was going up a 5 - 6% grade for over 3 miles with the explorer loaded to the brim and a cargo carrier hanging off my hitch fully loaded and crap on the roof so I was hauling some weight,. After that last time it didn't pass 190, I started taking precautions though. Getting as much speed going down a hill so I could take it easy going up the next hill. I'm wishing I had spent the money on a 5spd manual swap when my automatic had gone before, all this high heat it has been seeing scares the crap outta me.

Fluid, which is mobil 1 Merc V synth with lube gaurd, is still a bright bright red, doesn't smell burnt, doesn't seem effected at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nocturnall I hate to say this but those Hayden coolers are not very efficient at all, not compared to some of the others on the market.

I ran the big ol Hayden as well and it would still allow the temps to spike, I went to a B&M cooler and the spiking is gone, much much cooler and steady

Back