advice for a 99XLT AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

advice for a 99XLT AWD

ok, What id love to have is 38x15.50 on 15 inches of suspension. realistically, it would be nice to make my X stand out from the crowd. Only problem is, ive got the 3.55 rear end. id like to know that would be the biggest tire without problems, and would wheelspacers make for some extensive repairs in the future? if anyone could offer advice, it would be welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rob a bank because it will cost a **** load of money to fit 38"

Also you DO NOT have AWD if you have a V6. AWD was only used in 5.0 Explorers & Mountaineers.

You have a lot to learn long before you even try lifting your X.

Yeah, that was a lil mistype on my part. 2 hrs of sleep in 2 days dont help. Anyways, what would be the best thing for me to do, 33x12.50 is my goal for this year, im just hesitant because i dont want to have it in the shop every day for rear end/tranny problems, or will the 3.55 rear end work?

Um your best bet is to do a TT, and shackles. With this you can fit 32-11.50-15"s, but your gas milage is going to suck.

You will need 4.56 gears to run 33" tires with your 4.0

3.55 gears with 33"s will be hell on your tranny along with no power becuase of bogging the engine down.

well, my gas milage sucks to begin with (15-18) so im not terribly worried about it. If i got the 4.56 gears what would need to be done with the front end, or should it be fine

You have to re-gear the front & back diffs. You can't do just do the rear.

how hard is the front diff, or is it possible to find a lower front diff gear out of another X?

Back